Chapter 16:

When it started to get dark we all packed up the backyard and went inside. Jane and Peter had gone out for dinner with some friends so they asked Liam and I to baby sit. The boys all needed to have showers and Dean and James had school the next day so Jane asked me to make sure they got to bed at a reasonable time.

            “So do you guys want to watch a movie before you all start getting ready for bed?” Liam asked and I was about to object but I didn’t have to.

            “Nah, we have, umm, things to do. Don’t we boys?” Dean said and I looked at him suspiciously.

            “No, what things?”

            “You know, the thing,” Dean said and he gave them a look saying just go with it.

            “Oh right! That thing! Come on James. Let’s go do the thing,” Noah said and he must’ve caught on to whatever Dean was saying. They scampered up the stairs giggling amongst shushes.

            “Boys,” I said rolling my eyes. I knew what Dean was doing. The little rat.

            “Shall we watch a movie then?”

            “Why not?” I said shrugging. A movie with Liam seemed nice at that moment. If I wasn’t mistaken I actually enjoyed spending time with Liam. I guess getting to know someone has to be two ways for it to work.

After debating for a while we decided to just leave it on a random channel that was playing a random movie and Liam got us a bottle of wine and two glasses. I wasn’t sure where this was going but I didn’t really feel like it would matter so much if it went down a romantic path.

            “Only one glass,” I said, “In case the boys come down.”

            “Fine, fine,” Liam said.

After we got settled on the couch we watched the movie that was playing and after a few minutes I realised it was 10 Things I Hate About You. So perfectly cliché but so perfectly not.

            “One of my favourite movies,” I murmured.

            “You? You’re into all those chick flick movies?”

            “They’re good!” I defended and we lapsed into silence again.

My foot tapped the floor as my mind became occupied by the movie. I swirled the wine around in the glass aware that Liam’s knee was bumping against mine.

            “What were you like when you were younger? Before you became famous?” Liam asked licking his lips as his gaze stayed focused on the TV. He looked effortlessly beautiful. He should’ve become a Vogue model. Better yet a Calvin Klein underwear model.

            “Well I loved school and I wasn’t as mean-”

            “You mean you didn’t always used to be a bitch?” Liam asked with a fake shocked voice and I hit his arm playfully.

            “Ha ha,” I said unimpressed. “No you dimwit. I became a bitch after I spent so much time trying to be someone I wasn’t. I think the more you hold stuff back the more bitter and sarcastic and rude you get.”

            “Good observation.”

            “Thanks, anyways when I was younger I dreamed of becoming a lawyer. That was just what I wanted to do. Someone would ask me what I wanted to do and I’d answer ‘lawyer’ in zero point two seconds. Didn’t even need to think about it.”