Chapter 20:

For the first time in years I had inspiration and the feeling of inspiration just consumes you. So I called Amber a few days ago and asked her to send my guitar here.

I bought a journal from the local shops and I started writing down rhythms and lyrics. I was going to write a song. I wanted to be able to listen to this song and be able to feel exactly how I felt in this moment. I wanted to immortalise this moment.

So when a note was stuck on my door that a package had arrived for me when I got back to my cabin at three o’clock in the morning, I bolted to the lobby.

The receptionist there looked surprised to see someone this late at night but put on a friendly smile.

            “How can I help you?”

            “Hi, I’m Daisy Daniels,” I started and she already started pulling the package out from under the desk.

            “Here you go, Miss.”

I grabbed the guitar case off of the bench and smiled at her before running off back to my cabin. The guitar case banged against my leg and I kept having to swap hands. Whilst I ran I couldn’t help but notice how bright the stars were against the blackness that could hold infinite worlds and possibilities.

The world was big. You learnt that in school during the day but you don’t really understand that concept until you’ve stared into the dark black night, dotted with white lights and who knows maybe one of those little white dots is a sun from a different galaxy where there are different planets with different life forms. People who are programmed differently perhaps. Maybe there’s a planet where dinosaurs are still alive. The possibilities are infinite.

I tripped on a slightly raised plank of wood on the pier. My grip tightened on the guitar case and I raised it slightly so it wouldn’t hit the floor. When I reached my cabin, I grabbed my notebook off the coffee table then I went out on the balcony and lit the lantern that sat on the table. I sat on the sun chair and I carefully take the guitar out of the case and strummed a few cords. I adjusted the tuning – it had been a while since I’d used my guitar but it felt at home in my hands.

            I wanna remember this moment

            When you look at me and I feel dizzy,

            And wonderful and extraordinary.

            And that thing in my chest starts to beat like a jackhammer

            You’re the only one, no one else ever makes it do that

            So I wanna remember this moment.

I wrote it down in my notebook and sung it in my head whilst strumming a few cords. Once a had a rhythm I sang it quietly next to the music. It sounded good so I also wrote down the chords I had strummed.

            The world is full of infinite possibilities

            But I want you to be my only

            Because you make me want to sing

            And write stupid, little love songs

            I could fill a whole book about you

            The way your eyes glisten,

            They’re my new favourite colour,

            The crinkle by your eyes when you smile,