Chapter 14:

I walked back into Jane and Peter’s house calling out their names as I did so. Liam followed me tentatively. He thought what I planned to do was a bad idea but I had two options and I had to choose the one that would keep Noah and I together.

            “Hey, where’s Liam?” Jane asked coming out of the kitchen.

            “He decided to stay out a little while longer. Where’s Peter?”

            “He’s outside with the kids, playing soccer as usual,” Jane rolled her eyes.

            “I’ve thought about the whole adoption thing and I think we should talk about it.”

            “Well what have you decided?” Jane asked sitting down at the dining table. I sat down with her.

            “Jane, I know you and Peter would be beautiful parents to Noah but he needs family. That’s me. I’m his family and I can’t miss this opportunity. I feel like if I let you and Peter adopt Noah, I feel like I’d be taking the easy way out and you know me. Taking the easy way out is not my style and I don’t agree with it. It’s why I’ve put up with my job for so long, it’s why I didn’t just forget about Noah and run away. I just feel as though I need to be the one to take care of him.”

Jane nodded slowly but I didn’t miss the look of disappointment on her face. I felt bad for not letting them adopt Noah but he was my brother and he was my responsibility. I needed to be there for him. I couldn’t be gallivanting around the world and let other people raise my brother. He was my family. My only family and I was his. We should be together just like I promised him when we were younger. Noah and I against the world.

I went back to the hotel after saying bye to Jane. I assumed she would want to talk privately to Peter so I decided to just head back to the hotel to get some rest so I could visit Noah as soon as the hospital visiting hours allowed.

I jumped on the comfy bed and turned the TV on. I flicked through the channels and started thinking absentmindedly about how I would tell Amber that I was going to quit so I could raise Noah. She would not be happy and the record label would definitely not be happy. In their eyes I had just cost them millions of dollars. In my eyes I was pulling myself together.

A knock on my door sounded and I rolled off my bed to go and answer it. I opened it to see Amber.

            “Did you miss me?” I asked as she waltzed right in.

            “Not even a little bit.”

            “Me either,” I said with a smile.

            “So how’s Noah?”

            “He’s,” I gulped thinking of his battered state, “He’s pretty bad. Nothing he can’t bounce back from though. It’ll just take time.”

            “All things do,” Amber murmured.

I was about to agree with her but a furious hand pounded at my door so fiercely that the door shook. Amber and I shared concerned looks before I went to open it.

            “Daisy, how could you be so unbelievably naive?” Peter asked as soon as I opened the door. “This isn’t only going to ruin Noah’s life but it’ll ruin yours! You can’t possibly look after your brother all by yourself! You barely know how to look after yourself! And you can’t just throw away your career! You know how stupid you would be to throw away all of that? Noah needs stability and we can give him that! Why won’t you let us do what is best for Noah?”
            “What’s he talking about Daisy?”