Thirteen

I woke up the next morning feeling more rested than I had in days. I wasn't sure when I went to sleep, all I knew was my conversation with Erica kept running through my mind. Why did Niall want to know how to beat Angeline?

Usually her opponents just left her alone and accepted the outcome. Why did he just keep coming back? Sighing I got up and dressed in my uniform. Looking myself over in our mirror I twirled, watching the skirt flow around my hips. I giggled at the sight. The things that will entertain me.

I looked over at the alarm clock on my nightstand. I still had an hour before I had to be in class. Grabbing my Curling iron I curled my hair into loose ringlets. After my hair was done I applied my makeup.

Grabbing my key and backpack I locked out room up and threw my key in the pocket of my bag. Now I had to find Angeline. Might as well wait by my locker she'll find me.I honestly don't understand why they give us lockers if we live in campus and bring our backpacks everywhere.

The school was a public school that had been bought out and built onto. I couldn't be more glad that they had. We had been so lucky to be able to come here and I was happy this had all happened. Angeline an I had always dreamed of living together and now we got to. We didn't even have to pay rent. I guess they just wanted to us a place in case we needed it.

I leaned against my locker and people watched. This was high school, a place where teachers didn't give a shot and kids tried to fuck in the hallways. I sighed as I watched Harry with yet another girl sucking face by his locker. On his right stood Niall with the girl we saw him nearly doing in front of the dorm building. I grimaced as I thought if that night. Angeline had been a mess.

I never understood why guys who were even remotely attractive had to be dicks. They knew they were attractive to girls and so they used their charm to get what they wanted. Those people disgusted me that's why Angeline and I had sworn off guys.

Speaking of, Angeline came strolling toward me, wet hair clinging to her uniform jacket. "What happened to you? You look like you were drenched with a hose."

Angeline smiled, "I made the swim team! I've been conditioning my lungs ever since we came here and the coach gave me a tryout during my free time. I did it Kendall, I proved my parents wrong."

"Are you sure you're up for this Angeline? You've only gotten the hang of it this past year. What if something happened?" I asked worriedly.

"Please don't act like my parents Ken. If I feel anything is wrong I promise I'll tell the coach. he knows about it and still let me on the team. It's time for me to stop living in fear. That's all my parents did was fear that something could happen. Living my life like that again is not how I want to live." she narrowed her eyes.

"Alright. Just please promise me that you'll be careful." I pled.

"I promise Kendall. Now stop watching Harry and get to class. You're going to give yourself indigestion."

I chuckled, "I see your point."

I walked to my first class with worry clouding my mind. Angeline was strong but she was only as strong as her body allowed her to be. There were so many terrible circumstances that I could imagine.

As Harry walked into the room my mind changed topics. My top priority now was surviving Harry's little game. Should I really go to dinner with him tonight? Would that be inviting a chance for more? I didn't want a boyfriend and I definitely didn't want one that I couldn't trust. That was the problem after all. I couldn't trust Harry with even a minor friendship let alone trust him to not cheat the moment I turned my back.

I rested my forehead on the desk top with a sigh. I was no closer to discovering what I needed to do than I was yesterday. I couldn't back out of the deal. If I did then he won and I had to go on a date with him.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I heard Harry ask.

"They're worth much more than a penny." I muttered.

"I've got a ten." he replied, I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Haha very funny." I said sarcastically. I looked up at him to give an eye roll and felt my breath catch.

The sun was hitting him at an angle where a halo seemed to illuminate above his head. He hasn't shaved this morning which left him with a five o'clock shadow. Usually that was a turn off for me but he looked good with it. The look didn't fit him though, it looked like somebody trying to create some rough angel.

"Are your thoughts worth that?" he winked.

"You could never have enough money to buy my thoughts." I said and focused on the front of the room as Mr. Jacobs began teaching.

*****

After school Angeline dragged me over to the natitorium to watch her practice. As I sat on the bleachers to observe I couldn't help but laugh. Who ever said nerds weren't sporty? That misconception had always made me angry. Angeline was a swimmer and a bowler and I played volleyball. Angeline had tried to get me into track but the only thing I ever even thought of doing was the jump and then I fell on my ass.

A school full of nerds and jocks and still the nerds won. We were proud of the athletics, yes, but the top dogs here were always the smartest. It didn't matter if you had won eight sport titles on your own, if you weren't in the top ten you were just another face in the crowd.

The swimmers came out of the locker room and I would have done a spit take if I had been drinking water. On the side of the pool where the guys were stood Niall and Harry. Like the rest of the guys they were in the school distributed speedos. They looked so uncomfortable it made me laugh.

Angeline came striding over to me, "Yes, I have to be around them but its worth it. Besides just because I hate him doesn't mean I can't appreciate a guy in a speedo." she winked.

I hit her shoulder, "Ew that disgusting Angeline."

"Yeah right. Like you weren't thinking the same thing about Harry so don't give me that crap." she gave me a knowing look.

"I don't like him. He's a self centered, arrogant jerk." I snapped.

She just shrugged. The coach looked over, "Angeline hop to it time to get to work." his voice boomed.

Angeline jumped in the pool and started her laps. Before jumping in I locked eyes with Harry. A smirk grew on his face an he gave me a wink.