Twenty

"Why didn't you wake me up this morning?" Angeline insisted as I walked into our room.

"Hello to you too Angel." I said sarcastically

She rolled her eyes at me, "Whatever. Just tell me why you left me to sleep and don't give me that crap about me needing it."

"It is not crap Angeline. You cannot push your body to those absolute limits. You think you're invincible but you're not. You are not the badass you believe yourself to be!" I shouted out if frustration.

"You know what, Fuck you!" she stormed out if the room, probably to the gym.

I fell back on my bed with a groan. What the hell is going on? This year has turned into a complete mess. now I have to worry about Angeline as well.

A knock at the door brought me out of my self loathing. "Who is it?" I ground out as I made my way to the door.

"Just your favorite person in the whole world." a deep male voice responded.

I froze in my tracks, not feeling at all capable of even touching the door handle. I should have known this would happen after seeing him the other night, I just hoped it would take longer. "What are you doing here?"

Instead of opening the door I took the chain latch and slid it into its track. Now if I opened the door it would only open a crack.

"Sweetie don't do this to me, don't keep me out of your life. You're breaking an old man's heart." he said in a pained voice.

I gently opened the door, all that it would allow with the latch, and peered out at a man I hardly recognized anymore. "Just go away. You chose to stay out of my life yourself so don't try to tell me that I'm the one keeping you out. You may be my father but you'll never be my dad." I hissed.

"Now Kendall, don't get hostile. I just want to talk, father to daughter." he pled.

"Isn't that what we're doing? We're talking, aren't we? Well you're running out of time. Tell me what the hell you want from me this time so I can say no and you can leave."

"I don't want to leave. I want us back together, all of us, as a family. This staying away from each other is hard and I know it's been as hard on you a it has been on me. Can't we get past all of that?"

I shook my head, "We can't. No matter what you want to believe the truth is that my life has improved tremendously ever since the two of you walked out of my life. I have my family with Angeline now and that isn't going to change. Mom and you will never be family in my mind.

"People say you should let go of the past and move on and many times that means forgiving the people who have wronged you. The problem is that I can't let go of the past when it keeps following me around. How can I forgive a past deed if the person who did it keeps bringing it back to light?"

I let out a large breath and continued, "If it isn't truly in the past then I cannot forgive and none of us can move on. I want to move on, to forgive and forget but that isn't possible with you. If I give an inch then you'll take a mile. I just want this gone. I'm happy where I am and that means without you."

"Ken-" he began to say before seeming to choke on his own words.

I shook my head, "There's nothing you can say or do that would change my mind."

"We'll see about that," he said in the most menacing voice I had ever heard.

I pushed back the feeling of dread an closed the door, "Goodbye, Andrew." As the door clicked into place the dread washed over in waves that seemed to cripple me. Not only had I just deprived him of what he wanted, I hadn't even called him father but instead used his first name.

This year really was going to hell. Fuck.

It's pretty short but I'm hoping its got good quality in order to make up for that.