Thirty

"What do you mean you two broke up?" Angeline insisted.

"We're not together anymore, over, done, broken up. What don't you understand about that?"

"Why? What happened?"

"Blake saw something that I couldn't see myself." I sighed. "I didn't really like him, I used him to make Harry jealous."

"You did what to Blake Tanner?!" she screamed.

"Angeline would you shut up? Look, I didn't mean to. At first I thought that I actually liked him and he was so sweet, but I used him for my own gain. I wanted to bury the feelings I have for Harry and, I don't know; I think I got caught up in it and began to mistake my feelings for being real when they weren't. I'm a terrible person!" I buried my face in my hands.

"No, I mean that was a shitty thing to do to the guy, but you aren't a terrible person Kendall. It was a mistake and everyone makes them. Don't be do hard on yourself." Arms wrapped around me as Angel comforted me.

"It doesn't matter anymore. Harry is going to go out with a new girl and forget all about me. What am I, but the girl he chased but couldn't catch. Just a mark in the column of those that got away. He doesn't care Angel because people like him can't feel love." I sighed, "But I wish it could happen."

"Maybe one day,"

I cut her off with a humorless laugh, "Only in my dreams Angel. People don't change, they simply get better at hiding who they really are."

"You can't honestly believe that! Look at how far we've come! We went from being disliked in school while we failed classes, to being accepted to an elite school in England." she argued.

"Yes, we've learned to hide who we are and say that we've changed. We adapted, not changed. Inside we are still those two outcastes little girls who were unliked by everyone."

Angeline stood up and before I could process what she was doing I felt her hand come into contact with my cheek. My head whipped to the side as a distinctive sting appeared on my cheek.

"Did you just slap me?" I insisted.

"I slapped you out of your self loathing. Stop acting like we haven't changed. I know that we haven't changed completely but there has definitely been a change from those little girls who hid in the bathroom to escape the bullies when we were in elementary school. You're acting like there is no hope anymore. Face it, you have feelings for Harry. Now get your ass up and fix what you made a mess of!" her clenched fists perched themselves in her hips.

"People don't change overnight Ken but they can over time. They just need to be believed in. Forget your pride, because he matters to you a lot, and I know it."

"What do you want me to do Angel? Should I go to him room again and beg for him to go out with me. I don't care about my pride but it doesn't work like that. Even if he has the mindset to drop all of his messing around that doesn't mean that I will be able to trust him. It takes a lot to trust someone and even more when they've already broken the trust."

"What are you even talking about? How has Harry broken your trust when you never gave it to him? You have never trusted that boy, but merely saw his faults and not the parts of him that we're screaming for your attention. How can you be so thick?" she threw her hands in the air in frustration.

Angeline stood up and brushed the grass off of her. "Where are you going? We're still talking!" I called as she turned around.

"I think we both need time to ourselves. You need to think about what you're going to do about Harry and I have to study for my science exam." she waved and headed to the library building.

Think about Harry? That's been the problem nonstop ever since this bet started. Pushing myself to my feet I brushed off my ass and walked toward the school's gardens.

Every year rows upon rows of elegant flowers bloomed to life as England's cold winter and spring lifted into a warmer summer. The colors and scents of the flowers had always brought me comfort when I had been feeling conflicted. Today was no different than any other day that I walked through these gardens.

I made my way over the stone paths to the gazebo set in the middle of wooden arches covered in multiple colors of morning glories. The flowers and different foliage transformed the simple looking gazebo into a colorful wonderland where the outside world seemed to disappear. It was, in my opinion, the best place to get away and think on campus.

When I arrived at the wooden structure I was relieved to find it empty. Unfortunately many students do not always use the gazebo as a spot to think, like me. Today it was deserted and felt as peaceful as ever when I set my feet on the wood.

Walking around I looked at the many carvings students over the years had made on the railings, the supports, the benches, even the ceiling. Some were funny, some were cute, while others showed that even the smartest of kids in the world held on to their immaturity.

I pulled in a deep breath through my nose, letting all the scents if the garden envelop me, and lost myself as I laid down on a bench and closed my eyes. The scents of the morning glories and lavender helped to calm my nerves as I thought of the decision I would have to make.

At this point I had no clue what to do about my feelings for Harry. What do you do about a guy that you like but he has problems with being faithful and reliable. It was a shame he was because those times when he took me out and just spent some time with me he showed me the true him. This Harry didn't speak inappropriately about girls but instead made the one he was with feel like a queen.

He showed the outside world a side of him that only foolish girls would fall for, but when he was in private he became a completely different person. It was all so frustrating! How could you tell how nice a guy is if he always seems to change.

Maybe if I dreamed up a new Harry, one that was perfected, it would come true.

I sighed and laughed at myself. I've really gone off the deep end now, thinking that I can change someone. There's is no way I'd ever get Harry to change. What am I going to do then?

"Kendall?"

I sat up quickly as my mind registered the voice.