Twenty Five

Once Angeline and I were back at our dorm I slammed the door shut, "I can not believe he did that." I nearly cried out.

"Isn't that what you wanted though?" Angeline asked, "This entire time you've been waiting for him to just screw up and get with another girl so you won't feel guilty for not believing his feelings were true. You seemed to think that this is what you wanted."

I shook my head, "Why would I want him to go and fuck some slut? I would never want the guy I like to screw someone else!"

Angeline and I gasped at the same time as we realized what I had said. "No, I didn't mean..." I couldn't finish the sentence. Angeline and I had promised never to lie to each other and I wouldn't start now.

Would it really be a lie though? I didn't even know anymore. I sighed and held my head in my hands.

"Kendall, it's not a sin to like someone. no matter how bad their personality is. no matter what you tend to fall for them anyways." Angeline placed her hands on my shoulders, "Don't let this eat at you... please."

"How can I not Angel? I thought that he might have actually changed and I told him things I had only ever told you. He knows about my father dammit!" I turned around and slammed my fists against the wall.

"Look Ken he's a dick, not a monster. he is not so cruel as to tell the campus your secret." I could hear the sad look on her face.

"There is no way that you could know he wouldn't do that Angel. I am such an idiot!"

"Shut the fuck up Kendall!" Angeline screamed at me, "You need to stop. Stop putting yourself down. You are not stupid or a screw up! You are human and you know what, humans make mistakes. You are only stupid when you don't learn from them. Now stop throwing yourself farther into the gutter."

"Throwing myself into the gutter, me? How about you? All you do is claim that your parents don't understand you because of your asthma yet go out here and act like you're invincible. if you want to talk about someone being too hard on themselves then look in the fucking mirror Angel!" I threw back at her.

"We've already had this argument but if we must revisit it then yes, I too hard on myself. I know it though and I always know that I have you by my side to kick my ass into gear. You haven't seen me go to the gym lately, have you? No because I'm trying to be better to myself. We both need to quit beating ourselves up," she placed her hands in her hips and gave me that look that told me arguing was futile.

I groaned, "I still don't see how being better on myself will help my love life," I grumbled, feeling annoyed.

"Oh it won't. Face it Ken, you and I suck at guys. Its just a fact with us." Angeline shrugged.

I crossed my arms and sat on my bed, "It's not fair!" I whined slightly.

"I know Kendall, I know."

The room was quiet for a long while. I took advantage of it by thinking about this summer. Angeline and I will have graduated and will soon be going to college. Both of us have sent out our applications and are anxiously awaiting our letters that will tell us our fate.

It honestly hasn't been long enough for me. I feel like only a year ago Angeline and I were running over to each other's houses and waking the other up way too early in the morning to do something. We never planned back then, we simply played each and every day by ear without a care in the world.

Somehow those careless children had become some of the worlds most gifted. Those days of careless abandon were over and we've begun planning every day of our lives down to the minute.