Twenty One

"Kendall! Kendall open the damn door!" my father, I mean Andrew's, voice kept bellowing through the door."

"Mr. Troy? What are you doing here?" Harry's voice said.

"Just trying to speak with a student. Do not worry Mr. Styles."

"Harry please make him go away." I pled, "I don't want to talk to him."

I heard my father groan, "Fine I'll go but you will see me again." I could hear his footsteps disappear down the hall and when I opened the door Harry was still standing there.

I immediately threw my arms around him, "Thank you." Stepping back I gave him a smile.

"You're welcome Kendall." He just stood there, looking at me curiously

I looked down at the ground feeling awkward. "Thanks anyways. I'll see you around."

He smirked and crossed his arms as he looked at me, "Still not going to admit that I'm not half bad?"

"It has nothing to do with admitting it. I have to actually believe it first. You can do plenty of chivalrous things an be as sweet as you want in front if me but, at the end of the day, when you're alone I bet you are not keeping to that behavior. I'm looking at how nice you are to me. I'm looking at how nice a person you are when no one is looking because that is something you can't fake." I placed my hands on my hips as I lectured him.

"How will you know how I am when no one is around? if no one is around then you won't be either."

"I'll know. See you later Harry." with that I turned on my heel and walked back into my room.

"You Kendall Knight are insane." I muttered to myself.

Harry is the type of person that takes a challenge seriously and I just gave him the challenge of his life. in order for him to win he is not only going to have to know how to act in front of every single person on campus, he is going to have to learn to act the same when people are seemingly not around. No person with Harry's reputation will be able to do that for an entire month.

It's only been four days an already he's itching to get this over. Add on top of that the fact that he can't be with another girl. A guy like him would never try that hard for one date, especially one where he doesn't even have a guaranteed lay.

*****

Four hours later I closed my text book feeling beyond happy that my homework was finally done. with nothing to occupy my mind I settled back in my bed and went over the events of the past few days, especially those that concerned my father.

When I was only five my parents split. It was a nasty divorce that ended with both of my parents having joint custody over me. For most kids that would have been a blessing, not having to worry about missing a parent. For me, though, it was a nightmare.

Both of my parents used me to hurt each other. The only time they even acknowledged my presence was when the other was around. The rest if the time I was completely ignored and forced to fend for myself. Neither of my parents cared.

Eventually child protective services caught up with what was happening and got me out if there. Being as close friends as we were Angeline knew about it immediately. After much pleading, not really that much, Angeline and I convinced her parents to take me in. Not long after her parents signed the papers to officially become my adoptive parents. Angeline and I settled right into the role of being each other's sister.

It all happened so long ago that Angeline and her parents believe that I don't even remember what my real parents looked like or even what they did. I do though. When I told Angeline about seeing my dad she probably thought it was just like every other time I had 'seen' him. I know I did though and after that confrontation I'm positive it was him after all.

It has never made sense to me though. How can any child understand why their parents would be so neglectful an uncaring to them. When most people think of their parents they think about unconditional love, no matter what happens. They would never believe that something, like what happened to me, could happen to them. I never thought it could happen, even when I lived through it.

Through everything that had happened I had held onto the hope that my parents still loved me and try didn't know what they were doing. At my age now I understand that that was not the case. They fully understood what I went through and yet truly just didn't care. It made me sad to think about it for years but looking back now I see that what they did set the ground for so much good in my life.

If my parents had not neglected me then I may not have ever become close to Angeline and we wouldn't be as close as we are now. I also wouldn't have the beautiful and loving home that I do now. I'm not sad about what I went through anymore, I'm actually happy it happened. I don't care about the past because it brought me to an opportunity filled future.

I smiled as I thought if all that I had accomplished since my hell of a childhood. From troubled child to experienced genius, or at least I like to think so. Thank god for best friends.