Chapter 26

Damon sat in the parlour of the Boarding House, although he had a book in his hand, his mind was elsewhere. He knew it was bad that he lied to Ava about the cure. He already knew baout the cure because of overhearing Rebekah and Klaus.

What he said last night was true. No one knew if the cure was real or not so he wasn't going to get Ava's hopes up.

"You look deep in thought." Ava smiled, looking over to him. Damon's head snapped up, realising that he was just staring at the pages of the book but not registering it.

"Just thinking how lovely you'll look on my arm for the council ball." Damon replied smoothly, changing the subject from what he was thinking about.

"Awh, Damon, what makes you think I'm going with you?" She smiled, coming over to the sofa he was sitting on.

"Who else would you go with?" He questioned, his gaze narrowing.

"Oh I don't know, Stefan maybe?" She grinned.

"He's going with Elena."

"Oh well, I could always, you know, kill her."

"No. Stefan would kill you, and I don't want to be cleaning up the mess thank you." Damon sarcastically replied, sipping his bourbon. She took the book Damon was holding and threw it away, knocking over a couple of objects with it.

"Was that necessary?" Damon moaned, speeding over to the lamp and picking it up. She pouted at him and stretched her arms out.

"I don't know, is lying necessary?"

"What do you mean?"

"I know when you're lying Damon Salvatore, so don't play games with me." She replied, smiling over to him. Damon played it cool, shrugging his shoulders and finishing off his drink as he sat next to her again.

"You need to learn to trust me." He whispered.

"You need to learn to stop lying to the people you love." She retaliated, raising her eyebrows at him.

Yes, Damon could tell her. But what then? Ava would just be hell bent on finding a cure that may or may not be real.

In reality however, Damon didn't want Ava to become human again. He loved her as a vampire now and didn't want her to change. He wants to be with her forever, and the best way to do that is to be a vampire.

*Ava's POV*

I hate Damon when he lies. Because he only lies when he's trying to protect me or keep me from something, now it was really bugging me on what he was thinking about too. Maybe I could invite Abi over to get it out of him. He always had a soft spot for her.

I flipped my phone out and called Abi's number, it rang a few times before she finally picked up.

"Hey Ava, what's up?" She sounded pretty breathless, like she'd been running.

"Um nothing much, just wondering what you're up too?"

"Who is it Abi?" A male voice in the background called out.

"Is Kol there?"

"What? No, Im just watching TV, uh, what do you want?"

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to come over? I need your help."

"Uh yea su- What? You said you'd spend the day with me? Shut up!"

"Look, you can invite Kol if you want, as long as he behaves." I muttered, I don't particularly like Kol but he's in my sisters life so I'll have to get use to him.

"Really, is that ok?"

"Yea sure, as long as he behaves." I repeated.

"Ok, see you in a minute."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I killed the call and slipped my phone back in my pocket. I then realized that Damon was looking at me all this time.

"What?"

"You invited Kol over?" He complained, not hiding his annoyance. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Yea because he's with Abi. He's in her life, he's in mine." I replied sternly, getting off the couch and pouring three glasses of some of Damon's bourbon.

He doesn't really care if I drink it, as long as I don't finish it. He was about to argue about it when Abi and Kol appeared on the couch opposite.

"Hey guys." I smiled, walking over to them and giving them each a drink.

"Thanks." Abi smiled, taking the drink and sipping it a bit. Kol smiled at me and took his, downing all out it and placing the glass on a nearby table.

"So what do you want to do? Not a double date I hope." Abi laughed, looking over to Kol who pulled a face.

"Na, but Abi I need to talk to you alone, so can you come outside with me?" I asked, getting up from the couch and holding out my hand to her. She took it and we sped out the house into the woods.

"What's up sis?"

"Wait." I held my finger up and scanned around the forest, listening out to see if Damon had followed us. It seemed alright so I continued.

"Damon's lying to me, and I was hoping you'd get him to tell the truth." I said, my eyes still darting around the forest as it had fallen silent.

"No way. I'm not getting on Damon's bad side ok Ava? Why don't you just ask him?" She moaned.

"I did and he didn't tell me, please sis." I pouted, brushing my hair out of my face. She was about to reply when we heard some movement from the side of us. Both our heads snapped round to see a tall dark skinned man walking towards us.

"Excuse me ladies, I didn't mean to startle you, I was just having a stroll and I think im lost. Can you help me?" He said, coming closer to us. I could smell a hint of vervain coming off him but it was probably the Mayor, she was putting it in the water supplies again.

"Yea sure we'll help, I'm Abi and this is my sister Ava." Abi smiled, holding her hand out to him. He smiled slightly and went to shake her hand. I saw her face contort one of discomfort and she winced away from his grip.

All of a sudden he pulled out a gun and shot her down. I ran to her side and tried to pull the bullets out but I felt two explosions of pain coming from my back. He'd shot me too.

I felt a sharp scratch in my neck and I saw he was injecting me with vervain. My vision blurred then darkness clouded my eyes.