● WHY? ●

• J I N H E E •

I was on the elevator with a bouquet of flowers in my hand and some foods on my other hand. When the elevator reached my destination, I walked out of it and saw Baekhyun on his way to the elevator.

"Oh. Baekhyun," I called him because he's looking down while walking and he's smiling from ear to ear..?

I think he didn't hear me and just kept walking. When he's close by I tried calling him once again, maybe he could hear me this time.

"Oh Jinhee.." he responded and raised his hand as a hello. I just nodded at him in return.

"What's with you? Is there something good happened?" I asked but he just shook his head and smiled at me.

"Nothing don't mind me. Are you going to Sooyeon?" I nodded as an answer.

"Good timing. I was about to go down to look for something while she's asleep. Good thing you're on your way to her. Kindly watch over her for me please?" He asked.

"Of course. She's also my friend. Take your time Baek. I'll just go watch over your girl."

"Thank you Jinhee," he said with a smile and entered the elevator. Sooyeon you're so lucky to have Baekhyun as your guy. Well, I am also lucky to have Sehun as my suitor though. Okay, enough of those.

I made my way to Sooyeon's room but I stopped at my tracks when I saw her door slightly opened and I think there's someone she's talking with. I know it's not good to eavesdrop but just this once.

I walked silently to her door and listened quietly, trying not to make a sound.

"I don't want to," I heard Sooyeon remarked in her raspy voice. Huh?

"But they need you. They want you to live longer. Please do th-" Is that a man's voice? I then heard something fell.

"I said I don't want to! I've decided and it's final! You won't make me do the therapy! I don't want to experience that kind of pain so I'll just slowly die on my own just like a flower. I know that one day I'll just wither and die just like that flower. So please," she said and she was almost in tears. What the..?

"Shh.. Stop crying.. I don't like seeing my patients cry.." patient? So it means the one she's talking with is a doctor? But who might it be? Is it Doctor Han? My mom's doctor and also Sooyeon's new pedia?

"Alright, I won't force you to take the treatment. But I'll be warning you starting from today. You'll be experiencing aches in your heart more often so you have to endure the pain." Why Sooyeon why?

"Thank you doc," Sooyeon told him. "Um.. doc?" She called out.

"Can you not tell them that I won't take the treatment any longer? Because based on what you told me, Baekhyun and Chanyeol Oppa already told you their decision and that is taking the treatment. I know they'll be mad and upset if they knew about this so, please?" I heard Doc sighed.

"Fine. Just live longer until you can. Enjoy your remaining days with the people you love and the people who loves you. Especially with the person you love the most. Don't stress yourself and keep drinking your meds. Atleast these will make you live longer and prevent your heart from aching too often. Arasseo?" I heard Sooyeon said yes. And with that cue, the tears flowed like a stream and I can't stop myself from sobbing. (Alright?)

So all this time, she knows? But how? Did she lied to us? But why would she refuse to take the therapy? There's so many questions inside my head and I couldn't think straight right now because of the conversation I've just eavesdropped.

I sat at the chair beside the door of her room and there I continued sobbing. I heard the door opened and I could sense that Doc Han was shocked to see me here, sobbing. But I felt his hand patting my back slightly. And because of that, I cried more. I can't stop myself from it.

"It's going to be fine. Just enjoy her remaining da-" I cut him off.

"But why?! Why didn't you forced her to take the therapy?! You know that we've been praying for her recovery but why did it turn out like this?!" I screamed to his face. I couldn't take it anymore. He didn't talked but he just heaved a sigh.

"To my perspectives, you had overheard our conversation a while ago. I didn't forced her anymore because I could feel sadness in her voice while telling me not to force her anymore and that's the patient's decision. I chose to follow my patient's decision because that's what they want. I'm sorry if I disappointed or upset you but I'm just following what my patient told me," he told me calmly. I just sobbed louder because of that. Good thing Sooyeon won't be hearing anything from outside.

Doc Han patted my shoulder once again and walked away. Sooyeon, why? Why can't you let yourself live? Live longer with us? That'll be more relieving right? I just hate myself that I can't face her right now because of this situation and because of the things I heard.

Why Sooyeon? Why don't you just focus on your treatment and recover fast than not taking the treatment and chose to die slowly?

I hate myself because I just want to cry these out, thinking that the pain inside me will subside but no. I know that it won't lessen the pain.

I stood up and wiped my tears away. I checked myself on my camera first before picking up the bouquet of flowers and the food I'm bringing on the seat next to me. Breathe in and out Jinhee. Calm yourself. Act as if nothing happened.

I got my courage and knocked on her door. I didn't got any response so I knocked once again. But there's nothing again. I just twisted the knob and entered her room. Now I know why isn't she answering.

I dropped all the things I'm handling and ran to her and shook her. I pressed the alarm button and called for the nurses to hurry up. Why does it have to be this time?

"Keep calm Sooyeon. Breathe in and out," I calmed her. Why now?

※※※