Chapter 9

"Why do you think we're here?" I asked Newt as we walked across the Glade to get some dinner. The cool air brushed along my skin as we briskly walked, sending goose bumps to rise along my skin.
I looked up at Newt, who seemed to be deep in thought; his brow creased together and his lips pursed together in a thin line.

"That's something everyone here thinks about. No one bloody knows why or how we got here; all we've ever known is that were here for a reason, because why else would those shuck Creators go to all the trouble?" Newt said in a low, quiet voice. By now we had reached the Homestead, where boys were literally everywhere. The once peacefulness and calmness of the Glade was long gone; replaced with the cacophony of 50 boys wanting dinner. Nearly everyone was lined up with a plate in hand, impatiently waiting to be served food. Newt and I had just grabbed a plate and gotten in line when a tall, skinny boy with black hair and green eyes came up to us.

"Hey James. What's going on?" Newt asked as the boy named James approached us.

"Alby said he wanted you. He said that he's holding a Gathering and wants the Greenie there too." James replied while he gave me a strange look, as if he didnt know what to think of me. Newt and I shared a look, both silently wondering what was going on.

"Okay, thanks James, we'll be there in a minute." And with that the boy turned away and walked off to join a large group.

"What's a Gathering Newt?" I asked, trying to understand the strange language. We both walked to a strange building in the corner of the Glade that was lit up by a couple of torches.

"Just something we hold to discuss the matters of the Glade." Newt replied, seeming somewhere else.

"Why isn't everyone over here then?" I asked, looking back at all of the young boys messing around.

"Its only the Keepers who attend Gatherings. We only hold one if it's a serious matter." My stomach churned with fear and worry.

"Then why has Alby asked for me to be here ?"

"I guess were gonna find out." Newt muttered under his breath. My heart sank at his words.
What if they listened to Gally and have decided to punish me? No, don't be stupid Rosie, they won't listen to Gally; not after what he has done. I reassured myself somewhat. I tried to focus on everything around me to try and calm myself, taking in my surroundings; what everything looked like, what I could smell and hear.

I could hear in the distance boys yelling and laughing, messing around while they ate. I closed my eyes to focus better, and heard the muffled conversation between Alby and some other boys I didn't recognise. The conversation sounded serious, the boys speaking in low, hushed voices.
Then I took a deep breath in, the image of a farm coming to mind as my nose was filled with the mixure of sweet fruits and soil, and the sour smell of livestock that hung in the air.
By the time I opened my eyes, Newt and I had entered a large room with 11 chairs evenly spread out in  semi circle, some occupied by a few of the Keepers I had met earlier, while others milled about in small groups and talked. One chair sat alone, in front of the other chairs, empty.
As I looked around, I tried to remember the names of the Keepers. I could remember Zart with his cheery attitude and bright blonde hair, Frypan who was always kind, Minho and Clint.
"Ah, Greenie, it's good to see ya. Would you mind takin' a seat just over there please? We're almost about to start; just waiting on one more person." Alby explained as he guided me away from Newt and towards the lone chair. I did as I was told, not wanting to anger Alby. As I sat patiently and observed everything going on, the sqeaky door that I walked through moments earlier sounded through the room, and everyone seemed to go silent and turn towards the person who had enetered.
More like people.
Three big, masculine boys walked throught the room with scowls planted on there faces. My heart skipped a beat as I realised that the boy in the middle was Gally, and he was being restrained by the two other boys.
His eyes scanned through the crowd with a certain hatred in them, until his eyes met mine. Although I was across the room, I swear I could here the low growl that came from deep within his throat as the two boys pulled him towards what must be his seat, and stayed on either side of him with their hands on his shoulders. He didn't even break eye contact with me as he crossed the room and sat directly across from me, and continued to glare at me, his fists clecnched so tight that his knuckled had turned white.
Feeling uncomfortable, I turned my head and searched for Newts' dirty blonde hair among the crowd of tall heads, and soon found his near the corner of the room.
After one of the boys moved, I had a clear line of vision to Newt, and realised that he was glowering down at Gally, his brows forrowd over his eyes and the corner of his lip curling upwards ever so slightly in a snarl. His arms folded over his chest as he leant against the wall and continued to stare Gally down, until Alby called everyone to their seats.  After a moment, Newt's body came to life and he moved to a sit beside Alby's, which was only 3 chairs away from mine. I continued to watch him, until I saw him look over at me in the corner of his eye, causing me to quickly advert my eyes to the very interesting ground.
"Alright ya shanks. We have gathered here tonight to discuss the going on's of our Glade, involvling our new Greenie here and this shuckface." Alby announced, raising his pointer finger to point at Gally, who only momentarily broke his gaze from me.