Chapter 52

Newt's P.O.V.

I watched silently as the Greenie, Thomas, looked of to the side. He held his stare with someone, his eyes searching their's for some sense of something. I turned to see Rosie staring straight back at him, pale and sweaty. Her breathing became rugged and uneven, and concern coursed through my blood. As I looked back at Thomas, his attention was back on us. I glanced back at Rosie, only to see that she had disappeared, her thin frame running towards the Homestead. Every cell in my body screamed to run after her, hug her and ask her what was wrong; comfort her and make everything ok, but I knew Alby wouldn't allow it.

"Who's she?" Thomas asked, continuing with his casual façade. He flicked his head towards where Rosie ran. He fiddled with his hands, trying to keep them from shaking as his eyes flittered all around.

"She has a name-" I began, however Alby cut me off before I lost my cool demeanour.

"Don't worry about that. do you remember anything?" Alby probed, kneeling down on the courtyard.

"Like what?"

"Like anything shuckface!" Alby snapped.

"Well, I remember my name, and someone else's. I don't know who they are, all I know is that they were close to me." Thomas confessed. I got the feeling he was hiding something from us, but I wasn't positive what.

"What's their name?" I spoke up, my eyes hooded by a frown of concentration.

"Her name was Rose, but everyone called her Rosie." Thomas muttered. I didn't believe it at first. I was positive it was just my ears playing tricks on me. But he said it. Thomas really did say he remembered Rosie's name.

"I want a gathering. Now." Alby commanded, his voice deep and stern. Immediately, I set off to find the Keepers. "And get ya buggin' girlfriend. She has some explaining to do." Alby added. I gulped down my worry as I continued towards the Homestead where I knew Rosie was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Rosie?" I called out, peering around the corner of Ben's room. I couldn't find her anywhere else in the Homestead, so I figured this is where she'd be. And I was correct. Rosie was making herself very busy running around the room, tending to Ben's needs as he lay unconscious. "Rose, Love?" I repeated hesitantly. I wasn't looking forward to dragging my Greenie to yet another Gathering, especially knowing how much they stress her out.

"Ah-ha?" Rosie hummed, uneasy. She dashed across the room, looking for nothing in particular as she avoided my gaze.

"We need to talk. Like, now." I continued, leaning on the door frame to support my ankle. Rosie continued to rush around the room, as if in another world. As she sped past me, I took hold of her arm and gently stopped her. Rosie sighed quietly, cursed under her breath and looked up at me with innocent eyes.

"Yes, Newt?" Her voice rose and octave, and instant giveaway that she was up to something. Rosie continued to keep her hands busy, tucking strands behind her ear or smoothing her shirt over.

"Look, I hate to do this, I mean I really bloody hate it, but Alby has called a Gathering, and wants you there." I sighed, holding Rosie in both my hands. I watched as her face drained of colour and eyes widened a tad.

"Wh-what does he want m-me there for?" She stammered, avoiding all eye contact now. I could tell she was very worried now; her chest rising and falling as if she had just jogged around the Glade, and a pulse to match it.

"Before I tell you, is there anything you want to tell me first?" I pried, out of the goodness in my heart. I wanted whatever was causing my girl this much stress to be bloody rid of.

"Um, why would you think that there's something to tell you?" Rosie tried to play casual, squirming out of my grasp and taking a step back until her back hit the foot of Ben's bed. She ran a hand through her dishevelled fiery hair and bit her lip as I watched her.

"Well I know these things stress you out, but never this much. It's okay to tell me, Rose. It can't change how I think about you." I assured, taking a step closer and rubbing my hand on her arm. I could see Rosie thinking, contemplating whether to come clean or not. I could practically see the gears turning in her head as she calculated the consequences of what she was hiding.

"It's nothing you don't already know, i-it's just the rest of the Glade I'm worried about." Rosie began, leaning into my touch a little. "That boy; Thomas, I know him. At first I couldn't remember, but as soon as I heard his name, I remembered that he is my brother. I don't know if he knows or even recognises me, but I am positive it's him."

"It is- he does remember a girl by the name of Rose who was very close to him. But he doesn't know that that is you- not yet anyway. The kid is smart, it won't take him long to connect the dots and figure it out. And when that happens, I dunno if he will go and bloody blab it out to everyone or keep it to himself." I confirmed, scratching the back of my neck out of habit.

"But that's not what has me so scared. I don't care if people know that we remember each other; it's the fact of how I remembered him that has me stressed." Rosie added.

"We told Alby that you hadn't remembered anything else in your dreams. If he finds out, he's gonna put you in the Slammer for two weeks!" I stressed, feeling my stomach tie up into knots.

"Or Banish me." Rosie barely voiced, her voice cracking with fear.

"Hey, I will never let that happen to you. I will always find a way to keep you safe; because I love you more than anything." I vowed, pulling Rosie into a tight embrace.

"And if they do Banish me?"

"Then they Banish me too. I'm not letting you go out there alone and defenceless." I promised, kissing the top of Rosie's head.

"So what do I tell people? Thomas has already made it clear that he has remembered my name- and with me remembering your when I came up, I hardly doubt Alby will believe me if I say I don't remember him." Rosie sounded dead on the inside, and it was killing me.

"Just say that you do remember Thomas; but you only remembered him once you heard his name, like with me. Alby won't have to know about the dreams. Don't worry Love, I will be there with you- I won't let anyone accuse you of nothin' you ain't." I assured.

"Okay." She mumbled, hugging back weakly. "Gally's gonna be there. He won't let this go- he already hates me."

"Don't you worry about Gally. Just go down to where we have the Gatherings and I'll meet you there. I just have to get all the other Keepers." I instructed, leaving the embrace and turning for the door.