Chapter 34

I woke up earlier than usual, eager for the new Greenie to arrive. The sun was just breaking over the sky scraping walls when I looked out my window: sending and array of beautiful pinks , purples and blues to cascade across the sky.
It's only been one month since I was sent up. Just one month. I thought to myself, awed at how the time had passed so fast.
Grabbing my soap and hair products, I slowly made my way  towards the bathroom. I'd always had Newt here with me whenever I needed to got to the toilet, or have a shower, so I was uneasy about it.
I'll be fine, just gotta keep my head down low until I'm sure the coast is clear. I listened intently for a moment until I was sure I couldn't hear no one, however I still kept my eyes glued to the floor around me until I got to my stall.
I decided to take my time this morning, seeing as I didn't have to worry about holding Newt up. I was just massaging the shampoo through my grimy, dirty hair when I heard the shuffling and loud breathing of a couple of boys.
"So she wasn't in there when you went to wake her up?" I immediately recognised the voice to belong to Minho as he clumsily walked into the stall beside me. I held my breath and stayed completely still as I saw a slim figure stumble past the flimsy, thin material what the boys called a curtain; which barely spread across the full length of the stall, hardly blocking anyone from seeing my naked body.
"No, she wasn't." Newt answered, a mixture of worry and confusion laced through his words. I internally cursed as I realised that I was stuck between a stall with Minho and Newt on either side, both wondering where the heck I was.
"Shuck." I cursed under my breath as a droplet of shampoo fell into my eye and set it aflame. I desperately struggled to wash it along with the rest out of of my eyes and hair. I heard the sound of the taps turn on, and the steady stream of hot steam filled the bathroom around us.
"She'll be right Newt. It's not like she can go anywhere." Minho snickered. I couldn't stop the whimper from slipping through my lips as my eye continued to sting and burn. Through my blurred vision, I could see the dirty golden top of Newt's head drench over with steamy water, making it look a dark blonde shade. If he were to just stand on the tips of his toes, he would be able to peer over into my stall.
"Who's the shank over there whimperin'?" Minho called out, more of a statement rather than a question. I desperately rushed to grab something to cover my bare body up before either boy could turn around. Noticing Newt's head turning around to what I could guess would be to face my stall, I panicked and did the only thing I could think of.
"Neither one of you shanks turn around or I swear you will regret ever coming here." I threatened, although it came out in a shaky voice that sounded weaker than I imagined it to.
"R-Rosie?" Minho stuttered.
"What the bloody hell are you doing here?" Newt asked in a panicked voice.
"Oh I just came here to have a good running session Newt, what do you think?" I retorted, putting as much sarcasm into the sentence as I could manage.
"But why-"
"No! Just shut up and pretend like none of us are naked right now. Continue on like none of this happened, and I'll see you at breakfast." I cut Minho off, desperately wanting to escape the confined stall.
Just to think, a few minutes ago and I wasn't even thinking of leaving soon. Now it's all I want.
The rest of my shower was extremely awkward, with only the sound of water hitting our skin and the cracked tiles filling the silence. As much as I tried, I couldn't get the thought out of my mind that I was practically standing next to a naked Newt and Minho, as they were standing next to a naked me.
Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the last of soap was washed from my body, and I was free to dry and escape from the bathroom. I practically ran from the room and out into the chilly air that seemed frozen compared to the steamy hot air in the bathroom.
With a heavy sigh, I began back to the Homestead to drop my things off, and then down to greet Frypan for breakfast. By then Newt was just leaving the bathroom and similarly started towards the Homestead, very pink cheeked as I was.
Frypan served my a plate of vegetables and chicken without question of mine and Newt's little staring competition, which I was more than thankful for. Frypan was just about the only boy here who was considerate enough not to push anything.
I had just sat down when Newt joined me, startling me and unfortunately bringing back memories of earlier to mind. My cheeks flushed a bright pink as I avoided his eyes and picked at my food.
"How come you didn't get any food?" I questioned, realising he had no plate in front of him.
"I'm not hungry. I still have a bloody headache from last night." Newt replied, brushing  his hair around to make it look a little more presentable.
"Look Rosie, about earlier-" Newt began, but I quickly cut him off.
"No it's fine. You didn't know and there nothing to apologise for. Just please, please pretend that it never happened." I begged, meeting his big russet eyes; the flecks of gold glowing against the deep brown pools that locked away his secrets. His eyes seemed to search mine for a minute before he spoke up.
"I'm 100 percent fine with that." He answered with a comforting, understanding smile that made me feel better.
"That's why you're my favourite person." I murmured with a sweet smirk.
"I'm your favourite person?" Newt asked in an innocent, adorable voice that spread a warmth through my chest, one better than any drink could do.
"Of course!" I giggled, unable to contain the warmth and let it spread across my cheeks and to the tips of my fingers. A sound along the lines of a giggle broke its way through Newt's pink lips as the biggest smile I'd ever seen sketched genuine happiness across his flustered face, sending another wave of warmth through my body.
In that moment, I knew that I had actually done something to help Newt; it wouldn't last long, but it would leave a mark on Newt that will give him some light through all the darkness.
"Hey-oh um R-Rosie, I'm-" Minho interrupted our blissful moment yet again. I cut him off with a glare, that soon softened to annoyance.
"Newt and I just had this conversation. It's fine, I don't hate you or anything, just forget the whole bloody thing happened, got it?" I explained as he hesitantly slid into the seat next to Newt.
"Good that." He replied with a heavy sigh of relief.
My attention was returned to the empty spot in front of Newt where a plate of food should have been.
"You've gotta be hungry Newt. We all forgot to have dinner last night." I said, watching his eyes carefully.
"No, I'm fine, trust me Greenie. It's this bloody headache; takin' my appetite away." Newt claimed, his eyes wandering somewhere behind me.
"Well I guess that means I must insist I take you to the Medjack's room for a check up. Better eat up Minho, you have to go runnin' soon." I called over my shoulder as I half dragged Newt across the ghost town like Glade.
"Rosie this is hardly necessary." Newt complained as we climbed up the stairs in the Homestead.
"Oh I know that." I answered simply without even looking back. It silenced Newt for the time being, until I sat him down on one of the beds in the Medjack's room. I  leant on the bench behind me, with my arms folded across my chest I looked down at Newt.
"So why am I here?" Newt asked, letting the last word drag out a little. He never met my stare, and played with his hands.
He knows I know he lied to me.
"Why'd you lie." I asked in an emotion void voice.
"What do you mean?" He asked, but it hardly did anything to his facade.
"Newt." I scolded, like a mother to her child I looked down at Newt with stern eyes.
"I don't know-"
"Yes you do. I can tell when you're lying, so stop trying and bloody cough up the truth."  Newt still stayed quiet, his head hung low like a guilty child. My stern exterior crumbled away with empathy, and I knelt down so that I could look into Newt's eyes once again.
Just as expected they were leaking with emotion, one of the first times I'd seen the brave leader cry. He squeezed his eyes shut tight, letting a few drops fall to the floor between us.
I took his hands in mine, bringing his attention to me once more.
"Newt, it's okay. I want you to tell me what exactly is going through your mind right now. Don't worry about lying, because no matter what you say, I'm going to be here for you all the same. I want to help you Newt; nothing you say will ever change that." I assured, giving his hands a tight squeezed for reassurance.
Newt opened his eyes again, and I knew that I had never seen so much emotion pool up in someone's eyes.
"But that's the thing, I can't tell you, because it is about you." He sniffled. I was taken back by Newt's words momentarily.
He's like this because of me? What did I do?
"That doesn't matter. I still want you to tell me, because I can't help you if you don't tell me." Newt remained silent for a long time, but I could see in his russet brown eyes that he was thinking; contemplating.
"It's not fair to do this to you." He finally spoke up. "Just being friends with you, and putting all this on you. It's not right. How could I expect you to even want to be around me after you have to put up with all this klunk? I can't keep bloody doin' this to you. I don't deserve you, or Minho; just like I don't deserve my breakfast." Newt sobbed, his body racking with fear and sadness. If I weren't so focused on helping him feel better, I'd be shocked at a Newt's actions. Never in my time in the Glade had I ever seen Newt so stripped down to raw emotion.
"Newt, listen to me. You aren't doing nothin' wrong; all you need is a little help, which is perfectly fine to ask for. That's what I'm here for, because I want to help you feel better, and you can't do that on your own. So all this, this isn't you doing anything wrong Newt. And don't ever say you don't deserve us, or to eat. Newt, if it's anyone who should be saying they don't deserve something, it's me. I certainly don't deserve to have you as a friend, but I am more than grateful for it. Just as you should be; because you are worth the attention, the help, and pain, just like you deserve to eat." I paused to pull him into a tight hug. I let my chin rest on his shaky shoulder as Newt held my thin frame tight.
"I understand why you lied earlier. You didn't want Minho worrying about you, which I can understand. But you have been trying to hide this side of yourself for so long, that you've lost part of you. It's okay to let people see you cry, or be scared. It's okay to let people try and help you, and worry about you, because every now and then we all need a little help. I want to be here for you Newt, but I can't unless you let me in. Please, just let me in; tell me what goes on in your head, how you feel, what makes you sad, and what makes you happy. It won't be easy, and it's certainly going to be a long road, but we'll get there; together." I added, letting Newt's and my embrace go so that we could face eachother.
Newt's eyes were bloodshot, tears brimming along his eyes and soaking his long eyelashes. His nose turned a rosy pink colour as he continued to sniffle.
"Newt, do you trust me?" I asked, kneeling down further to look into his deep eyes. Newt's brow furrowed together in a frown.
"Of course I do." He replied; his voice low and croaky.
"Then trust me when I say this; we will get you through this. You mightn't be happy all the time, but you will get better with some help. I promise my life on it." I vowed, standing from my knelt down position, pulling a Newt to rise with me, and pulling him into another reassuring hug.
"Okay, I trust and believe you Rosie." Newt only said a few words, however his eyes spoke a million.
"I know you do." I murmured, shooting him a small smile.
"Now about that headache. I have something here that'll do just the thing." I proclaimed, trying to brighten the mood. I waltzed over and got a small white pill from a dark drown glass bottle, and handed it to Newt with a glass of water.
"Here ya go." I handed him the pill and glass, and watched him wash it down with water, then wiping away a few stray tears.
"Thanks." Newt murmured, looking up through soaked eyelashes, a grateful look in his eyes.
"Anytime. I wasn't lying when I said I want to be here for you."
"I know you weren't. I can also tell when you lie." Newt replied with a small, proud smirk.
"And how can you tell?"
"You but your lip. Guaranteed, every time you lie you'll but your lip. What about me, how'd you know I was lying?" Newt asked curiously, his mood returning to normal already.
"You don't look me in the eyes. You'll just look behind me, either that or you'll scratch the back of your neck." I informed with a similar smirk.
Just as I was about to same something else, a defeaning, blaring alarm broke out throughout the Glade, sending my ears ringing.
"What the bloody hell is that?" I screamed over the alarm, pressing my hands tightly against my ears in attempt to block it out, but to no avail. It did the same as stuffing my ears with cotton.
A small wave of relief washed over me to see Newt calm and unfazed by the noise, soothing my worries like water to a fire.
"It's the Newbie alarm. Means you are no longer the Greenie!" Newt yelled over the alarm with a wide, toothy grin.