Chapter 37

"The what?" Chuck squeaked, his eyes widening with more fear, if that was even possible. Everyone crowded around to get a peak at the new Greenie, shoving each other about and peering over heads.
Newt and I stood, watching everything unfold in front of us.
"It's weird; watching this happen from a different perspective." I thought aloud. It really couldn't have been a month, could it?
"Yeah. The worst thing is you never really get used to it." Newt admitted, looking down at me with deep, saddened eyes that made me melt beneath their careful watch.
"The Glade, shuckface!" Gally growled, his face scrunched up in the usual scowl.
"Hey, leave him alone!" I argued, stepping up. It had been a while since Gally and I had argued. I had tried to ignore his hateful glares for a while.
"And why should I Greenie?" He retorted, his lips twitching into a sick smirk.
"If you haven't realised, I'm not the Greenie no more. And because I said so. I bet when you came up, you were crying you shuck eyes out. Is that what happened Gally? Did you cry like a little baby?" I mocked, stepping closer. A chorus of muffled laughter and snickers filled the silence from the shocked Gladers.
"Watch it slinthead." Gally warned through clenched teeth, a vein popping out from his temple as his face turned a dark scarlet shade.
"What, no denial, no comebacks? That's exactly what I thought. So before you pick on a poor little boy, how 'bout you think a little, and bloody grow up. You think people like you for being a bully? What you have confused for admiration is fear." I spat, glowering at Gally.
The Glade seemed to go silent as we stared each other down, our eyes glistening with loath.
"Shut your hole, the both of ya!" Alby ordered, stepping between Gally and I. I kept eye contact as I returned to my place beside Newt, folding my arms as I composed myself. I couldn't imagine what poor little Chuck was thinking.
"This is the Glade, where we, the Gladers, live." I explained in a softer tone than before.
"Why are there giant walls boxing us in?" Chuck's trembling voice was quiet, mixing in with the distant noise from cattle and pigs.
"It's a long, long story. I'll explains it to you little by little, I promise." I gave Chuck a comforting smile as I walked up to him.
"Now, how about I get you some food and a place to sleep, huh? I'll explain a little to ya." I offered, kneeling down so that I was Chuck's height. His eyes roamed the Glade behind me for a long moment before meeting my kind eyes.
"Um, okay." He whispered, wiping some tears and sweat from his cheeks. I held my hand out as I stood up straight again, waiting for Chuck's small hand to lace in mine.
Hesitantly, Chuck took my hand and let me lead him off. I walked past Newt, and as if the wind pulled him along, he followed after me, falling in step.
"Lucky shank has gotten further than any of us." I heard someone mutter as we walked off. Newt beat me to glare at the boy, his icy stare boring into the shanks soul, making him shrink into the crowd.
"Why are you the only girl?" Chuck's high voice spoke a little louder once we were alone.
"I wish I knew. Up until last month, only boys were sent up. But then I came along and made everyone worried and angry for some bloody reason. Well everyone except Newt and Minho." I turned to give Newt a warm smile to find that his eyes were searching the Glade; a distant look hazing his russet brown eyes.
"Whose Minho?"
"He's not here right now. He's a Runner, and let me explain before you ask. The reason the Glade is surrounded by this walls is because on the other side is a big maze. A Runner, such as Minho, is a person who runs through the Maze and maps it, trying to find a way out." Chuck remained silent for a second, taking in all the new information. It wasn't long before another onslaught of questions rained down on me.
"A maze? How big is it? How come you haven't found a way out? How long have you been here? Why doesn't everyone just go out in to the Maze?" The questions just rolled out one after the other, not even allowing me the chance to answer before another popped up into Chuck's head.
"Woah, slow down there Greenie. One at a time!" I chuckled as we walked into Frypan's kitchen. As if silently asked, Newt began to gather the ingredient for sandwiches. As he quietly made a couple, I began to answer some of the thousands of Chuck's questions.