Chapter 59

I hardly slept that night; every time my eyelids shut, the sight of Minho, Alby and Thomas being ripped apart by Grievers played over, haunting my dreams. I knew for a fact the Newt hadn't slept at all, he didn't even stay in the bed. After laying down with me until he presumed I was asleep, Newt crept off of the bed and snuck out the door, to go for a walk and clear his mind I guessed. I would have gone after him, but I realised that it was probably best for him to think alone for a while, so I continued to try and sleep.

It wasn't until just before dawn break that I gave up on sleep, and decided to go out and join Newt in whatever he was doing. I moped out of bed and down the hall, not caring how much of a mess I was. As I stepped out into the cool morning air, I was just able to spot Newt pacing in front of the Maze Door we were at the day before. even from the distance, I could tell Newt looked a mess.

Slowly, I joined Newt at the Maze entrance, waiting for it to open. With everything remaining silent still, I sat down picking bits of grass as the inevitable question came to mind.

"Do you think they made it?" I spoke up, not really expecting an answer. My mind felt numb as I reminded myself of the answer. No, of course not.

Newt stopped pacing for a moment to look down at me. he gave me a sympathetic look, the same one a mother would give to her child when she isn't sure whether to say the truth or not.

"No, probably not. But there's still hope."

"There's always hope," I added quietly.

Boys began to wake up and join Newt and I in our anxious wait, just as the sun began to peak over the walls. Before long, there were twenty boys waiting outside the Doors; their hair a mess and clothes wrinkled like mine.

"How much longer, Newt?" I asked quietly. he didn't even need to look at his watch to tell me. He had been checking it every minute.

"Should be anytime now," Newt answered in his deep voice.

As we waited, I felt someone join my side. I glanced over to see Chuck staring back at me, eyes full of hope that his friends will return.

"Hey, Rosie," Chuck greeted weakly, not feeling his usual bouncy attitude.

"Hi," I croaked back, flashing a feeble smile back. The conversation ended there, nothing else needing or wanting to be said.

It was silent for a few more seconds before the Doors droned on, ever so slowly rumbling opening. everyone held their breath as the desperately searched for the trio within the small crack revealing the Maze. As time went on, and more and more of the Maze could be seen, we all began to lose hope as no one could see the trio anywhere.

"Better get to work then," Newt called out quietly, turning away from the Maze. Everyone silently followed after their new Leader, except Chuck and I.

No, that can't be it. They have to be out there! I argued in my mind. I stayed back with Chuck for a few more minutes, straining to see any form of movement along the long Maze entrance, but failed.

"Come on, Chuck. They're not coming back," I choked on a sob as I turned my back on the Maze.

"Wait, over there!" Those three words sparked hope nd energy into all of the Gladers as they all came rushing over to see what it was Chuck had pointed out. Pure elation and ecstasy radiated off of Chuck as he frantically pointed at something in the Maze. Newt and I rushed to the front just in time to see Thomas and Minho limp around the corner, relying on each other to stay standing. The glade erupted into cheers and words of encouragement as Minho and Thomas looked up. I felt my heart almost stop as warm tears streaked down my face. Covering my gaping mouth with my hands, I lunged forwards, into the Maze to help them.

I ignored the cries of complaint as I practically ran the boys over. Their weakened bodies could hardly hold my weight as ran into them, immediately suffocating them with a hug.

"My god you're actually alive!" I wept into Thomas' shoulder. He reeked of sweat and mechanical oil which burnt my nostrils as I inhaled. I felt them both lean their weight onto my body, no longer able to support each other.

"Jeff, Clint I need your help over here!" I called out desperately, feeling the boys weight pulling me down.

"We can't go into the Maze. You're in enough trouble for being in there!" Jeff replied.

"Fine, where are the Runners? Come and help me!" I groaned as two tall, masculine boys quickly jogged in lifted Thomas and Minho from me.

"Where's Alby?" Newt asked desperately as Minho and Thomas were literally dragged back into the Glade.

"Give them some space!" Clint ordered as Thomas, Minho and Newt were swamped with Glader's.

"H-he's just around the corner. Tied up to t-the wall with vines. You need to go get him," Thomas stuttered weakly.

"Runners, go find Alby and cut him down, now!" Newt ordered immediately. Five boys all grouped together and ran off into the Maze together. "What in the bloody hell were you thinking Greenie?" Newt turned to Thomas.

"Lay off of the kid, Newt. He's the reason we're all alive," Minho muttered in an exhausted voice.

"What?" Newt scrunched up his face, turning to look at Minho.

"Look, we have a lot to say, but first can we get some painkillers?" Minho complained through a grunt of pain.

"Right, yes. Medjack's, get Thomas and Minho over to the hut and check for any major wounds."

"Yes sir," Clint answered, directing the two Runner's holding Minho and Thomas up over to the Hut.