Chapter 50

It had taken Newt a day to recover enough to be let out, and another where he was assigned to lay in bed all day, and I was told to take care of him. Not like I had a problem with that. I stole his watch and told him to sleep, knowing Newt all too well that he'd try and get up if it was after 7 am. It seemed to work, because it was 8:30am, and he was still fast asleep, stirring here and there.

I lay beside him, enjoying his warmth and presence again. I felt ecstatic that Newt was up and getting better, and no longer lying around, wasting away. To show him just how much I cared about him, I decided to get up and have a special breakfast made just for him.

I delicately slid out from Newt's grasp, cringing as I heard him groan and roll over, now spread out like an eagle on our bed. I couldn't help my smile as I thought just how lucky I was to call Newt mine. Shaking back into reality, I got one of Newt's jumpers and put it on, breathing in deeply and relishing his scent; a mixture of sweet flowers and late night dew. I pranced over to the small desk, pulling out a piece of paper and pen, scribbling down that I'd be back soon, and stay in bed.

I sauntered down to Frypan's kitchen and pulled out the required ingredients for pancakes. I felt a strong craving for blueberries, so I ran out to the Gardens stole a handful of the small berries before running away. To my luck, no one caught me, and I was Scott free. My mouth watered uncontrollably as I entered the vacant kitchen, the smell of sweet pancake mixture filling the air around me.

I finished up with the second stack of pancakes and sprinkled the blueberries I had snatched on top. It wasn't exactly restaurant-grade pancakes, but I imagined it was better than what Frypan usually cooked up for us. I picked up two sets of knives and forks, the two plates of pancakes and took off back to the Homestead, desperately hoping no boys would see me with the food. I could only imagine what they'd do if they saw pancakes.

I pranced up the stairs, humming peacefully and trying to not breathe in the pungent smell of boys body odour, and took down the hallway. My hands were full with the plates, so using my back, I pushed the door open and backed up into our room. Before even looking at Newt, I set everything down and turned with a smug grin. To my surprise, Newt wasn't in bed where I had left him, but slipping a shirt over his head, similar to the one I wore. A rosy blush broke out across my cheeks as Newt looked me over, smirking as his eyes landed on mine.

"That's a nice shirt, where'd ya get it from?" Newt purred, sauntering over to pull me into an affectionate hug. My face smooshed into Newt's chest, and my senses were overwhelmed by the powerful scent of Newt quite literally suffocating me. With the sleeves falling way past my hands, I wrapped my arms around Newt's waist and indulged in the moment. Newt was making an effort to be happier now, doing as he promised and doing only the things that he enjoys. He seemed like a different man almost; the hard, guarding exterior now completely gone when we're alone. Newt genuinely seemed to be getting better, slowly.

"Mmm, what's that?" Newt queried, his voice muffled by my hair. I let go and turned to see Newt was looking at our breakfast, and confused and happy expression playing on his face.

"I made us breakfast." I chirped, hopping over and passing Newt his plate with a big grin. I grabbed mine as well, and pulled Newt over to the bed to sit and eat. As I sat down, the sweet smell of pancakes drafted into my face, and I suddenly felt sick to the stomach. It was like smelling something too good, to the point that it was sickening. Taking a deep breath in, I decided to just start off with the blueberries, hoping my appetite would come to me after that. I was wrong.

As soon as the berry was in my mouth, my body instantly rejected it. I forced myself to swallow it, regretting it instantly. the thing that I was craving only half an hour ago was now making me want to throw up. I looked over at Newt, hoping to distract myself from throwing up. He had already gotten stuck into his pancakes, his mouth full. That only made me feel worse.