Chapter 66

I hardly payed any mind as to where I was going, too torn to focus on anything but Newt. I only came back to earth when I heard a the croaky, familiar voice echo out in the silence.

"Rosie?" Thomas called, eyes squinted, sleep still having control of his body.

Like a criminal caught in the act, my body took off into the darkness, away from my brother. I hoped he chased after me, tackled me and stopped me from doing any more harm, but I feared he too would  feel the wrath of the strange being. I knew that if he did decide to run after me, there was no way I could get away; his body built and formed for running.

I could hear Thomas run after me, twigs and dead leaves crunching beneath his weight. A sense of relief washed over me, knowing Thomas could and would stop me, hopefully locking me up before i could hurt anyone else. But the thing controlling me had other plans, quickly detouring to the right and scaling the large, rough branches of a tree until hidden in the canopy of leaves. I waited silently, somehow controlling the ragged breathed as I crouched down, watching out for Thomas to go away.

Why are you doing this to me? what did I ever do to deserve this? I questioned in my mind, sure that if this thing could control me, it could hear my thoughts.

Silence.

Hey! Dammit, answer me! I cried.

Rosie? The feminine voice replied, a light echo playing in my head. If my body wasn't possessed at the time, I'm sure I would have fallen from the tree.

H-hello? I called, timid. It was the same voice from before, that told me I was going to trigger the Ending, whatever that was.

Did you trigger the Ending?

Who are you, are you the one controlling me? Fear and anger coursed through me.

My name is Teresa. No I'm not controlling you. did you trigger the Ending? She repeated.

I-I don't know what that means. How are we doing this? Please help me.

I can't help you. I'll explain it tomorrow. Her voice was affirmative and curt.

Wait, y-you're here? You're the girl in a coma?!

I have to go now. Remember, WICKED is good.

And then she was gone again, cut off like it never happened. My mind began to spin, so much happening. Did that really happen? did I just have a conversation with someone in my head? I almost expected a response.

Time went on as I waited in the tree, unmoving. My muscles ached from staying in that position for so long, yet i still couldn't get myself to budge an inch. it had to have been about an hour later when my vision began to blur and black spots danced around the edge of my vision. The last I remembered was beginning to sway back and forth, and the thud of something hitting the ground.