Chapter 42

I waited happily for Newt outside his door. The day felt different; like a new life. Well it sort of was, now that Newt and I were closer than ever, everything seemed different, better.

It was like the Glade had suddenly became less horrible. The idea of being trapped here forever a little more bearable, because I knew that I would have Newt with me the whole time. The sun shown brighter, and the crops let off a sweeter scent. Everyone seemed happier, and everything just seemed more amazing this morning.

How have I let a boy have this much control over my perception of life? I don't really care, if things seem better then who's to complain?

Finally, Newt's door opened to reveal a fully dressed Newt, whose hair still remained disheveled and poofy. In his hands, he held a bag filled with toiletries as I did, only his was much smaller. I bounced up on my toes for a moment before crashing into Newt's chest, standing on the tips of my toes to tightly wrap my arms around his neck. After a moment from the shock, Newt brought his long arms and wrapped the around my waist equally as tight.

"What's got you in a good mood this morning?" Newt questioned through an airy chuckle. I let my arms loosen and slide down to my sides after a moment, just as Newt had, however he let his right arm hang across my shoulders.

"I dunno, I just feel bloody good." I chirped. The truth was, it was because my life felt infinitely better. Not by much, but just enough to make me motivated and cheerful. Even the animals around us seemed happier, the birds singing beautiful melodious songs to each other that could be heard even from the Homestead.

"Heard anything from Chuck?" Newt asked, sprouting conversation as the silence began to stretch on.

"Ah well the funny thing is he slept in my room." I mumbled, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly.

"How come?" Newt pressed through a confused laughter.

"Well he had a nightmare and came into my room, which I still have to ask the bloody shank how he found, and when I went to get him a drink of water, the Greenie was asleep." I responded with amusement. By the time I had gone back into my room, he was already gone; as if he were never there.

"Strange boy." Newt remarked with only a sliver of humour.

"You don't like him?"

"He's a little annoying. Scratch that, really bloody annoying. Besides, too young and immature for me, I don't like to handle 'em when they're still suckin' on their thumbs." Newt commented as we stepped out into the beautiful early morning atmosphere, with dew dripping from the trees and grass, and a thin layer of fog settling across the Glade. No one else appeared to be up, with rows of sleeping bags varying in colours peacefully rising and falling as the occupants breathed; the Glade a ghost town, or prison; it was still unclear what this place was for.

"He can be a little annoying with the constant questions, but I feel bad for the Greenie. He's just so young and vulnerable, he needs to be protected." I contradicted quietly as I heard the snores of multiple boys.

"My Greenie, the mother of the Glade." Newt admired, testing out the new name.

"Um, I'm sorry but what?" I tried to hold back the laughter. I hardly thought of myself of a motherly figure, despite Chuck admitting I was like a mother to him.

"Well, you are!" Newt responded with a bright smile lighting up his eyes.

"Well if I'm the mother, then you're the father." I retorted, crossing my arms across my chest. I thought I had won the little argument after the silence stretched on, but I was wrong when I looked up at Newt. He wore a long smile as he looked off into the distance, as if in thought.