Chapter 39

The night progressed like a dream; every second seeming unreal as Newt slowly, ever so torturously slow, began to open up to me. A new side of the young boy revealed itself as Newt guzzled down jar after jar of the apparent only drink in this place.
I'm not sure if it was the fact that a huge weight had been lifted of both Newt's and my shoulders after admitting our feelings, or just Newt losing himself in happiness and Gally's drink; but he became more touchy and gentle; holding my hand in his with a look of permission, which I could never deny, and sticking close by the whole night, constantly smiling and staring down into my eyes with care and longing.
Every time I'd catch Newt looking down at me with a grin creasing his eyes together, I'd feel the rush of blood rise to my cheeks as out if instinct, would turn and look up into the big, puppy dog eyes.
He was like a different person from the one a knew I week ago!
But not that I was complaining.
The constant warmth surging through my body kept me on a high, time whirling by as Newt and I made our way around to different groups of boys. Every time Newt's hand would brush against mine, I'd feel weak and overcome with a tingling sensation.
"To the Greenie!" We all yelled in unison, jars flying in the air as everyone punched the air above themselves, welcoming Chuck. The poor boy was bright red from the attention as he awkwardly stood beside Alby in front of the Glade, the bright glow of the bonfire behind us illuminating the freckles that  scattered across his cheeks and bridge of his nose.
His cheeks burnt bright as a sheepish smile found its way onto his lips. He looked absolutely adorable.
"How do you feel?" Newt asked again for the tenth time, his words coming out in a long slur. I couldn't help but chuckle at his appearance; his naturally a messy hair was going
in all directions from the constant hand running through them, and his eyelids dropping slightly over his deep brown eyes as he struggled to hold onto consciousness. Newt's brow drew up in concern as the corners of his lips twitched into a smile.
"I feel fine, again thank you. But I think you should go to bed." I chuckled, stepping in front of Newt, resting a hand on his chest comfortably as he automatically rested a hand on my waist. I loved the sudden closeness between the two of us, and the familiar comfort that came when his hand rested on my waist, or the small of my back.
"No, I want to live in this moment forever." Newt whined, pulling me closer to his warm body.
"If you live in this moment forever, then you can't live the better ones." I pointed out with a sly smile, both of us knowing I was right.
"What could better than this?" Newt retorted after a moment of thought.
"You'll never know if you don't come to bed with me." My face burnt bright crimson red as soon as the words left my mouth. Newt's ears too flushed a bright red as he registered what I had said. Even a few boys surrounding us turned and stared, making the moment all the more embarrassing.
"What did I tell you? No shucking funny business!" I heard Minho's distant voice yell through the crowd.
Apparently while Newt and I had gotten caught up in our moment, half the Glade had gone silent to witness.
"That's not what I meant. I just meant that I was going to go to bed, and I really think Newt should do the same." Again, regret pinched me as I trailed off.
"Damn Rosie; never thought if you as the dirty kind!" Zart giggled, echoed by the laughter of the rest of the Glade.
Somehow, my cheeks grew brighter and hotter as I face palmed, letting my head rest on Newt's steadily rising and sinking chest.
The laughter was cut short, peeking my attention and curiosity enough to face everyone. I looked up to see Newt glaring at Zart, hard eyes furrowed by his brow.
"All you shanks know what she meant!" Newt yelled, being sure that everyone heard him clearly. He turned back to me, a kind smile playing on his lips.
"I'll take your advise and get some rest." Newt said quietly as we walked away from the crowd towards the Homestead.
Once we were out of earshot, I spoke up.
"I'm sorry." I muttered while playing with the hem of my shirt.
"What for?" Newt scoffed.
"For embarrassing you back there. I didn't mean it, it's just I can't really think right right when I'm pressed up against you." I confessed sheepishly, refusing to meet Newt's careful gaze.
"Do I make you uncomfortable?" He asked worriedly. I almost laughed aloud, but withheld.
"Quite the contrary actually. It's just I get an intense sense of familiarity when you touch me. I've never felt anything like it before." I disclosed through an airy laugh, amazed at the feeling.
"But it's not like it's the first time we've touched. I mean we've hugged and held hands before." Newt gently pushed, wanting a further explanation.
"Yeah, but not uh, intimately; like before." I explained as Newt held the door of the Homestead open for me and caught up to my stride as we walked through the ghostly halls together.
"I have a secret to tell you. I'm not sure how you will react, but I think you deserve to know." I finally spoke up after a long moment of silence.
"Should I be worried?" Newt asked, half jokingly; but I could still see the hint of fear laced in his eyes.
"No, I can't imagine why you would. I just didn't tell you until now because I was scared of how you would react."  I Looked up to see Newt watching me expectantly. I took it as my silent cue to continue.
"Well, like you know, I remember certain things about us before the Maze." I began nervously, trying to word things correctly.
"Yes." Newt pushed.
"I didn't really connect it until now, but I think I know why you are so familiar to me, and I to you. Because before all this,  you and I dated; for a very long time." I stayed quiet before continuing, waiting for Newt to interrupt. But when it never came, I continued.
"It was a while back; about three weeks. It was kind of like a flashback, but I was completely emerged in it, as if it were real. You and I were watching the sun set over the ocean while it snowed; you had taken me there for a surprise. And we uh- we." I paused, scratching the back of my head as we came to a stop just outside the doors of our bedrooms.
How do I explain this?
"And we uh, we kissed, before I told you I loved you." I explained through a quiet breath.
My eyes travelled up to Newt's, where that flittered all over as he took the new information in. Worry began to tug at me as the silence grew on. It wasn't until Newt's eyes finally met my gaze, and the smile began to form across his lips that I finally calmed down.
"That's explains stuff." He finally murmured as he pulled me close to his chest.
"So, does this remind you of anything?" He purred into my ear as his hands snaked from my waist and rested on my shoulders. A nervous chuckle broke out from the pit of my stomach as I tried to contain the storm of thoughts and emotions sent into a frenzy by Newt's soft touch.
"Yeah, it reminds me that you are still drunk, and need some rest."
"Only if you answer one last question." Newt compromised. I watched him suspiciously as I agreed.
"Tell me honestly; why did you say yes to me?" Newt's question brought me off guard. It wasn't something I was expecting in the moment.
"Because I like you. I like the way you're so kind and gentle, but still stern at the same time. I admire how compassionate you are, and how you are such a good leader to the boys." I explained truthfully.
"When did you start liking me?"
"That's one more question than I am obliged to answer." I joked, pausing to think.
"I think it was the night you ran around trying to find me all day, and we talked in the Deadheads. What about you?"
"Definitely the night I danced with you." Newt smiled as I remembered the magical night.
An awkward silence hung heavy in the air as both Newt and I tried to decide on how to say goodnight.
We finally ended up pulling each other in a tight hug. With a surge of confidence, I pecked the side of Newt's cheeks as we pulled away, murmuring a quiet goodnight before retreating behind my door and leaving a red faced Newt in the hall.