Chapter 62

Dread gripped at my insides as both Thomas and I followed Newt in silence, lingering behind a little. I glanced up at my brother, trying to silently ask him what the hell just happened, but obviously all boys were just absolutely clueless because Thomas just gave me a tight smile. I rolled my eyes in response, returning my gaze to the cracked courtyard crunching below my weight. The sight of Alby's bulging, bloodshot eyes and thrashing limbs was burned into the back of my eyelids; the vivid image haunting me each time I closed my eyes.

And yet no one could answer any of my questions, just like my first day I was the clueless, belittled girl.

"Okay, here is fine," Newt stated firmly while casually leaning on the large fig tree behind him, as if there weren't a care in the world.

Good to see that at least one of us is in a peachy mood.

"So?" I let the question linger in the air for a moment as Thomas and I shared a nervous glance

"Look, it's no secret that the pair of you are special, and I trust you both when you say you can't remember anything," Newt looked me in the eyes as he said that, as if he were trying to tell me he's not mad.

"But?" Thomas spoke up, his gaze shadowed by a frown.

"But its no bloody coincidence that three shanks have claimed to remember you. Now don't worry, I'm not gonna throw a big Gathering and make a big deal about all of this; all I'm asking is that you just try and remember anything. I don't care if you remember what you favourite colour used to be; I wanna hear it."

"How do we do that?" Thomas questioned, shifting his weight onto his other foot.

"Just- just imagine yourself going through your mind, searching every inch for something new," Newt sighed, running a hand through his tousled hair. "And about the girl. she clearly knows you, Tommy, which means you would've known her as well. We need as many answers about her as we can, so I'm gonna take you over, have a good look at her and think hard- try and remember," Newt instructed. Thomas nodded in affirmation.

"Hey Tom," I called quietly, the name rolling off my tongue naturally. He raised his eyebrows in response as he glanced over at me. "Could you please give us some time alone for a sec?" I asked, flashing him an innocent smile. He grimaced down at me, as if saying 'what do you plan to do?'.

"Sure," Thomas answered in a deep voice. I waited until he had disappeared somewhere behind the Homestead before turning to face Newt.

"I've missed you," I said flatly, not in the teary-eyed way a woman would say to her lover after not seeing him for months.

"What're you goin' on about Rose? I saw you just an hour ago at lunch."

"Yeah, we saw each other; but we didn't speak to each other," I paused, staring at the ground below me. "Newt, we've hardly spoken a word since Minho, Tom and Alby came back. I go to sleep- you're not there. I wake up, and no surprise you're not there!" I laughed, but there was no humour in it. "And I understand things have been really tough lately, but you're throwing yourself into your work and locking away your emotions-slipping back into old habits." Newt appeared to be in shock as I spoke. He clearly didn't realise what he was doing.

"Rose-"

"You can't go there Newt and do that. Not again," My voice reduced to a whisper, nearly inaudible. "So that's why you're taking the day off tomorrow; just the two of us, alone all day. You can forget all your worries and troubles."

"That's hardly appropriate, Rosie. I have a lot of work to do, and if you haven't noticed the Glade is practically falling apart," Newt complained, gesturing to the space around him.

"On the contrary, my Dearest. It's a great idea because you need a break, and we are both in dire need for some peaceful alone time," I refuted with a smirk, Newt knowing all well that he wasn't going to win this argument.

"Well, then who's gonna run the Glade in my absence?"

"Oh Newt, you underestimated me and my desire to spend time with you," I purred, circling around Newt once before pressing myself into his chest, his arms instinctively wrapping around my waist. With my index finger, I gently lifted his chin, his rose pink lips just inches from mine. "I've got Minho looking after things for a while," I added in the same low, seductive tone, pulling Newt's face closer to mine. To be honest I had no idea where this part of me was coming from. Maybe it was the fact that I craved Newt's presence and touch so much. Maybe it wasn't, but I wasn't complaining.

After a moment, Newt gave in; his hand resting on the back of my head, bringing my lips to his in a much missed kiss. I missed his heated passion, present in each kiss. I missed his gentle touch softly grazing over my body. Most of I missed him and his closeness.

"Mm I missed this so much," Newt groaned, pulling away.

"Join the club," I smirked.

"I look forward to our ordinary day alone, then," Newt murmured.

"Oh, trust me Newt; there will be nothing ordinary about tomorrow," I simpered, leaving Newt's hold and sauntering away into the Homestead, feeling his eyes on me the whole time.