Chapter 54

Soon after Thomas' and my conversation, the Keepers began to show up in small groups, talking, whispering and gossiping among themselves, stealing small glances at Thomas and I. Newt, Thomas and I stood away from everyone, grouped close together and looking around silently as the Glade dulled down into a peaceful dusk. Some of the Gladers had begun to light up torches across the Glade, however they were more concentrated around the eating area, Homestead and now the Gathering room. Unlike about twenty minutes before, the Glade was alive and bustling as news of a Gathering had spread around. Some boys stole glances from the eating area, while others just blatantly stared.

"Let's get this klunk over with." Alby grumbled as he strode through the crowd and directly into the shack, a deep scowl carved into his face. I felt the breath catch in my throat, and suddenly I felt unbearably confined. Anxiety played tricks on my mind, and the massive, grey walls became taller somehow, and grew closer to me.

"Calm down; everything is going to be fine." Newt murmured, reassuring me as he took my hand in his. His touch did little to calm me as my eyes flittered around the crowd nervously. Would anyone stand up for me this time?

Newt lead me through the crowd, with Thomas close behind. He seemed to be caught up in his own thoughts; his eyes glazed over and focused on a certain point. I could tell that what I had told him was taking a greater toll than I expected. He remained silent and kept his head down as we entered the Gathering room, only to be stopped at the entrance by Alby.

Alby put a firm hand on Newt's chest and stared up at him with a hard stare. "You're not joinin' us with this Gathering, Newt," Alby said in a low tone.

"S'cuse' me?" Newt scoffed.

"I'm sorry, Newt, but I can't have you in there this time. You will only get riled up hearin' others' opinions, and set everyone off. I want this over as soon as possible. I hope you understand." Alby elaborated in his monotone voice and cold eyes. Panic rose within me even more as Alby began to force Newt out of the doorway. I felt Newt's hand slip away as I reached out.

"Newt," I cried out in panic.

"Rosie, it's okay! Everything is gonna be okay!" Newt called over Alby, who continued to push Newt away.

One of the other Keepers, Frypan, gently ushered Thomas and I to the two chairs that  were placed in front of the others. The boys were already seated and silent, their judging eyes following ours as we took our seat. I looked over at Thomas, who gave me a half-smile as I frantically tried to gain control over my breathing. Without Newt there, who was going to be their voice of reason? Who was gonna stick up for me when no one else would, convince them I was innocent? I could never do what Newt did, and I felt dreadful.

"Alright, let's get this thing started. I have called you all here because the new Greenie here has remembered a particular name; that name being Rosie. Now it can't be no coincidence that the two came up rememberin' more than we all have. Rosie, I want you to tell us honestly if you find Thomas at all familiar." Alby demanded in a tired voice, Everyone's attention was drawn to me; their eyes piercing through mine. My eyes scanned across the Keepers' until I came across Gally. He wore a more threatening glare than usual, and an ugly grimace.

I turned to look at Thomas. I was already certain that he was my brother, but I needed to make this as believable as possible. After a moment of Thomas and I staring at each other, I turned back to the crowd before me. The room was so silent that you could hear a pin drop.

"Yes, I do remember Thomas-" I was cut off by the crowd's shocked chatter.

"Shut it, the lot of ya!" Alby spat, cutting everyone off. "How long have you remembered Thomas, and what do you remember about him?" Alby pried, leaning on the edge of his seat, along with the other Keepers.