Chapter 2|Yana

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela

Poor Child. That was all I could say. My brother Paco, who was only 12, had to run through a burning village. A burning village full of elegant flames and gruesome soldiers everywhere. Dead people were scattered all over the ground. In a village which will soon be gone.

I ran through the village, following Paco. We were heading towards the nearby savanna. I was fast. Whenever I was told to do something for one of the women, I would run to get the job done. All that running had made fast, and I am grateful for that. If I had not been, I would have burned to death. Burned in the brilliant bright orange and red flames of death.

We entered into the savanna, gray which was full of Acacia trees. As we ran through the tall grass, we could hear gunshots and the chaos behind us. It gave me an awful feeling. I felt scared and terrified. My mind was filled with the thoughts and images of all the dead people scattered around the village, burning and turning into ash. I focused on what was happening in front of me. My short-ish hair was partially falling into my face. I pushed it away and looked forward. There was a herd of elephants walk slowly through the savanna. They were big gray. It looked as if they had bathed in mud. It was a baby, holding on to the tail of its mother. The elephants were simply walking together, in search of water. They were walking as a family. It was touching, but because they were family, they were very protective of each other. They were dangerous and powerful. Fortunately, they were far from us. Paco, Jonathan, and I started slowly walking away from them. Our goal was to reach the Nile, and that would be quite a journey. We took a long, but safer, route to the Nile. The sounds of chaos were farther from us now. We had met people while walking to the Nile River. We all had one destination, so we all decided to stay together. We heard stories about how other people escaped and what happened to their friends and families. After hearing the terrible things that happened to them, I felt sad, but also very lucky. We had been able to stick together the whole time.

The group had taken a break to rest. I sat down, exhausted from all the walking. I could not feel my feet and my legs felt like they were burning. Paco and Jonathan were staring at each other with uneasiness. I sighed and continued to catch my breath. Eventually, everyone had started walking again. Our goal was to go to the Ifo, Kenyan Refugee camp. Somewhere where we can live. I felt accomplished. Paco, Jonathan, and I