Chapter 13| Yana

We had eventually come across a tree full of fruit. We were starving and talking about what we would like to eat. While walking, the sun was torturing us. The scenery was as dull as a rock. The ground was a fire pit. It was all too much.

Paco suddenly started jumping up and down in joy

"Yana! Look! It's a Mango tree! We can eat!" The people in our group looked over to where he was pointing. It was a tall tree full of green mangos, surrounded by bushes and rocks.

" They don't look ripe. The ripe ones are orange," I replied, earning a look from Paco.

"Why does that matter? We can still eat it. If we don't, we'll die from starvation!" I sighed. He wasn't wrong. I glanced at the older Dinka members. They were conversing about the fruit. Dinka women looked over at Paco, Jonathan, and I. She casually nodded and we took off, absentmindedly running toward the fruit.

The tree's trunk was tall and brown. It had quite a lot of leaves, but barely any fruit. Paco was ready to climb, but I gestured to his one arm. It would harsh for him if he climbed the tree. He pouted and watched Jonathan climb the tree. Jonathan shook a branch and eventually, multiple mangos fell. I picked one up and inspected it. It doesn't look bad, except for the fact that they looked green. I have heard of mangos which stay green, even when ripe. I was unsure, but I bit into it anyway. I wanted almost devoured it, but it was bitter but watery and full of fruit. Jonathan bit into it and made an uncomfortable face.

" It's sour." He looked over at Paco, who was devouring the mango.

" Paco?" He stopped eating and looked at me.

" Yeah?"

" Isn't the mango sour? And bitter? You are also devouring it as if it was a typical dinner. I think you're eating too fast. You'd probably choke and die," I said while poking his stomach in disgust. I earned a sharp look from him. Paco ignored me and had continued eating like I don't exist at all. I snorted in disgust. If he starts choking it's not my fault.

I continued eating, trying to put up with the sour fruit. Sadly, I thought about how we used to eat in Juba. The meals were more filling. They tasted better. I heard the call of a bird and the wind against the mango tree. I heard the sounds of everyone eating. The smell of sweat and dirt wafted through my nose. The sour, bland, and bitter taste of the mango filled my mouth. I could feel the smooth, sticky feeling of the mango skin. The weather was hot and dry. All of my senses were overwhelmed with all these harsh feelings. I felt as if I had a headache. I tried ignoring all of that and continued silently eating the rest of my mango.

I thought about things while eating my mango. I thought about why this was happening. The people of south Sudan want to practice Christianity, while the government wants to pass the Sharia, or Islamic, Law.