Chapter 7| Paco

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglas

We fell asleep on the plateau in the desert. Hungry and tired. We drifted off to sleep huddled together like a family. In the dream I was flying on an eagle, in the dream, I was flying on a bold eagle. In the dream, I was hoping for freedom. The eagle was flying me over what looked like an ocean. He was talking to me. He said, "where do you want to go." I did not know where to go. I could go to America. I could go to the camp in Kenya Ifo. I chose to go to Juba where my parents died. I thought Yana was going to follow me, but I saw her fly away in the other direction. I cried out for her not to leave but she could not hear me. I turned away from her and looked at my eagle. His beak was short and strong. It reminded me of myself. His wings were golden brown and cut through the air like a knife through butter. Woosh. We flew all the way to Juba. The eagle flew without worry. It looked like a fall morning the sun just peaking over the night sky. This made me feel sad. I don't know why but, it did. The beautiful red-orange and shades of pink in the sunrise made me tear up. The orange and red reminded me of the fires atop the building in Juba. When we got to Juba, I ran to my hut. As I went in I saw myself in the corner changing clothes. Did I really look that surprised in that moment of my life? Almost like I expected Juba to be attacked. Then I heard the all too familiar sound of gunshots across Juba. the past me ran through the door and through me. I then saw the moments my Mother and Father died again I called out for all to stop. The Eagle talked. " horrible isn't it.A place so safe so secure... brutally attacked like that.Your parents were good people, Paco. They should not have had to end up that way." I looked at my mother on the ground and a small tear dripped from my cheek to her body. I was awakened by Yana.