Chapter 3| Jonathan

"Your life has a purpose. Your story is important. Your dreams count. Your voice matters. You were born to make an impact." ~ Unknown

It was a long hard journey through the savannah but we were able to come out as a group and everybody still kicking. We have lost some people and others were injured by nature. We had to go the long way because the short way was filled with soldiers and the sounds of gunshots. We have been hearing different stories from the others on the journey and their experience with the war was way more terrifying than ours. One girl said that she was working with her mother and she heard people screaming and falling like flies. She looked around her hut and saw her best friend get hit with a bullet. Then suddenly she could hear a bullet go past her ear. She was nearly killed. She was the only one that escaped without a scrape or scar lift on her.

After hearing this, I felt like we were the lucky ones. We were the people that had a "dream" escape compared to the others. We have heard rumors that we were on our way to a river, a river that could be harmful or magical. It was a river that we have been close to for our entire life. We have come upon our night and it all changed that one night.

We have been sleeping and then we woke up to the noise of lion's roar and it was grabbing one of the group members. We were terrified by this because it was the girl who told us the story of her friend dying and her almost losing her life. Now she has lost her life. It was shocking for us but it was the worst for Paco. He was the person that spent time with her and know his best friend was gone. He was scared for the rest of the journey through the savannah. It was a hard journey to listen to Paco sob and whine during the day. I then decided that I would have to do something about it. I know that he doesn't really like me but I try to act like a big brother to him. I went over there in told him about Salva Dut (a person that was in the same time period). I told him that he is doing the same thing that we are doing right now and what tragic things that happened to him. He also had a friend that had her life taken away by a lion. After Paco heard this, he was ready to go on and find Salva Dut. I knew that he was able to survive a little longer without being depressed about his friend.

We as a group were able to get out of the savannah. We were tired but was still energized to seek freedom. We were on our way to the river will it could all change for us. It could be bad or a new life for every single one of us. We could have freedom if we are brave enough to pass through it, or we might not be able to have a life if we don't go through with our plan. We heard the water racing and there it was The Nile River.