Chapter 19| Yana

"No person can maximize The American Dream with a minimum wage." - Benjamin Todd Jealous

We were finally free in the great state of New York. Away from all the violence of Sudan. We received a letter from Jonathan. It read:

Dear Paco and Yana,

I hope you are doing well in America. I wish I could be there with you. Today the man I fought next to died trying to save a child. This particular child was a dinka like us. Matters are getting better here in Sudan. I have gone back to Juba. I walked in your house and made a small hole in the ground for your mother's and father's ashes to go. I made a beautiful ring of flowers around them. Our group was stationed at the ruins of Juba. We killed off the soldiers that attacked Juba. I miss you both and I hope that we can be reunited soon.

I wish you luck,

Jonathan

Paco and I read the letter over and over again. Jonathan had honored and respected our deceased parents. He had gone back to Juba. Tragic things have happened to him but he was still alive. We rejoiced. Our life was taking turn. Our life will soon be a life our parents we would be proud of.

After reading the letter and rejoicing about Jonathan, we looked around our small apartment. The people who helped us understand the culture and way of life here had also brought us some food. We stared at it still not used to how it looked and how it tasted.

I finished eating and decided to rest. The bed we slept on was a small mattress on the floor. It was better than any "bed" I have had. I dozed off, thinking about the new life to come.