Chapter 16| Paco

"Freedom lies in being bold."- Robert Frost

They took me into interviewing. The day after they took Yana. when they took me the day was getting colder the skies were getting more grey than the blue skies of yesterday. I was ready to go to the interviewing . They took me in after lunch time. We had a meal of chicken stew. They took me to the outskirts of the camp, walking a fair pace to a large building the building was made of stone, it was grey stone with threads of beautiful emerald colored vines. All around the place were thick bushes carefully placed so that they look evenly spaced out and are so well trimmed they look like they were all the same bush.

"Paco hurry up," the man called out in a voice not stern but not playful. "You are first up in the interviewing."

The waiting room was filled with people. Some Drinks and some Nuers. All in the same room hoping to achieve the same goal. They took me in.

The man was sitting in a chair in the room. He had jet black hair and hazel eyes. His voice was deep and scary.

"Why do you want to go to america," he asked me "And why should we let you?"

I looked him in the eyes as a sign of respect "I watched my family and other people's families die in front of me and I have no purpose here any'more people don't like me anymore here." I told him. He wrote what I said down on a piece of paper.

"Can you tell me the American national anthem?"

"I think I can." I said with a bit of doubt. "Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hailed, At the twilight's last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars, Thro the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watched,
Were so gallantly streaming. And the rocket's red glare, The bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night, That our flag was still there. Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave, For the land of the free, and the home of the brave."

"How did you know that?" he asked his emotionless face now looked rather surprised.

"The only family I have wrote it down on a paper in the hut we have." I told him "The only purpose I can serve anymore is in America."

The man seemed satisfied with my answer. Thirty days later we received new news. Yana and I were going to america.