Chapter 20 | Jonathan

"Stop looking for happiness in the same place you lost it." ~ Unknown

~South Sudan/14 years old~

I stayed back to fight this thing that I have been in for my whole life. It was something that stuck in my head forever. I was wanting to go and fight for my loved ones and others that I lost during this war. I stayed back to go and try to find happiness by trying to help others in Sudan so they would not go through the same thing that Yana, Paco, and I faced. I was wanting to try to help others lives better by helping them try to have a life that they would be with their family for a long time. For them to have a person to lean on.

This fight that I have been in is something that I wish I did not get into. I would have to face old memories that I never wanted to see again. I would be reminded that my family has been killed because of the same reason that I am fighting. I was fighting for my country. I was doing the things that my family was wanting me to do. To fight for the things that would help my country function the way that the citizens would want it to be. Something that would help me with my anger and help others have a chance to have a life worth living. I was trying to find happiness, but all I could see was my past. I was being reminded of what made me want to find freedom. I was wanting to go and find freedom. I decided to go to America with Paco and Yana.

~ New York City, New York/16 years old~

I was able to come to america after having to serve in the sudanese military for two years. I was having to go back to the refugee camp that we did before Yana and Paco left to go to america. I was interviewed by the owners and volunteers on why I was wanting to go to america. I was able to impress the people by saying the reason why I stayed back and why I would like to go and find happiness. I was going to different places to go and find happiness. I think that this place that I am going would give me that opportunity.

I got on the plane and it was something that was starting to give me happiness. I was able to think in a way that let me remember those things longer. I got off the plane and I was in the same airport that Yana and Paco were in. I was able to find the exit to that jungle of people. I got in a car and it was driving me to my apartment. I opened the door and it was happiness coming out of my bones.