Chapter 15

"So students, I have a project for all of you. You have to write about love. What love is, the consequences of it. Explain what is, in your opinion, love. You will have a partner, and now I will tell the couples," the teacher starts to rummage through his paper sheets, trying to find something.

Ariana sits quietly beside Taylor, who is strangely mad and always lost in her thoughts. The shorter girl leans in, whispering in her ear, "Are you okay? You seem a little down today,"

Taylor jumps slightly at the sound of Ariana's voice so near, and she nods. "I'm okay," she replies, looking in front of them. The shorter girl follows her stare, and for the third time she catches Taylor gaze at the new couple that Karlie and Bridget are. They're quietly giggling to themselves, and when she looks back at her friend, she's not surprised to see her jaw clenched. No, Taylor is not okay. She knows that she's lying, but when the blond will be ready to talk with her about it, she will be there for her.

"Found them!" the teacher says happily, and he starts reading all the names. "Ariana Grande and...Gigi Hadid," he says. A confused look makes its way on both of their face, and suddenly Taylor starts to panick. What? Why am I not paired with Ariana? "And lastly...Taylor Swift and Karlie Kloss,"

Taylor's face falls as she hears her and Karlie's name. She quickly throws a glance in the taller girl's direction as she hears her saying,"Um, can I please change my partner?"

The teacher shakes his head. "No, I'm sorry. You will need to work together. Do it for this Friday, students!" he says, now talking to the whole class. The bell rings, and Taylor feels herself getting dragged up. It's Ariana.

"What will you do?" she asks.

"I don't know," she replies, looking lost. She feels her heart beating rapidly against her chest, and it felt like it was going to throw himself out of her chest at any second. "I don't know," she repeats with more panick in her tone of voice.

"It's going to be alright. You're gonna be alright," Ariana smiles softly, placing both of her hands on her shoulder. "It's just a homework. It will be okay,"

Taylor nods, and as she looks over the girl's shoulder, she sees Karlie talking to the teacher before she walks in her direction with a frown.

"Excuse me?" Karlie says, towering over Ariana. "Um, can I talk with you for a second?" she asks, looking anywhere but Taylor. The blond nods, but Karlie doesn't see it. Her friend tells her that she will wait for her in their room.

"I'm sorry we have to work together. I was thinking that maybe we could, like, you know, I do my own part and you will do yours," Karlie offers, shrugging. She really doesn't want to work with me, doesn't she?

"It's okay. We can work together, you know,–"

"I rather not," Karlie interruptes her, staring at her. This was the first time they met each other's gaze in a long time, and Taylor kind of missed her jade eyes.

"The teacher wants to us to work. It's a work in pairs. We have to work together," she replies, trying to sound confident and stern. "I'm sorry that you hate me now, but–"

"I never said I hate you," the taller girl interruptes her quickly. "I just..." she trails off, passing a hand through her hair in frustration. She sighs quietly, before adding, "Fine. Meet me in the library at six on Thursday,"

And just like that, she's gone. Taylor feels a smile tugging at her lips, but it quickly fades away as she watches Bridget and Karlie interlock their fingers, walking out of the class holding hands.

//////////////////////////////

Taylor sits nervously in the library, waiting for the taller girl to enter the room and start together their project. She fidgets with her hands standing on top of the table, and when she hears the door opening and closing with a bang, she's surprised to see her ex-whatever walk towards her with an unreadable expression.

"I thought you wouldn't come," Taylor says quietly, once the taller girl is sitting in front of her. Is she too afraid of sitting beside me? What, do I bite?

"Well, I am here, so," Karlie shrugs, and pulls out a blank paper from her bag. "Where do we begin?" she asks.

Taylor looks at her, unsure of what to do, and sighs when saying, "I don't know. I never experienced love, really,"

Karlie rolls her eyes. "Oh, yeah, right," she mumbles, and starts scribbling down some notes.

"What are you writing?" Taylor asks her, trying to look over and read what the taller girl was writing.

Karlie sighs, stopping her actions, and looks up at her. "Look, I don't expect you to interact with me. I came here to make you happy, okay? Since you don't even know what love is, I will do this. It's not a problem for me."

"I want to help," the blond tries again. Her heart flutters slightly at her words.

"I don't need your help," Karlie mumbles, and she resumes her writing, not even paying attention to Taylor. The blond doesn't even know how much time passes, but suddenly when she looks over at the watch she notices that it's past eight. "Alright, I'm done here." Karlie says, putting the paper in her bag.

She was sitting up, readying herself to leave, but the blond stops her. "Wait, I want to talk to you,"

"Taylor–"

"No," she interruptes her. "I need to talk to you. Please," she pleads the taller girl, and when Karlie nods slowly, she gathers up courage and starts talking. "I'm sorry for how badly I treated you. I'm so sorry, Cara didn't even gave me my money, and I don't even know if we're still friends. The only thing I know is that I want to be friends with you. You are a really good person and I would like to be your friend."

"I don't know if I want to be your friend after what you did to me, Taylor," Karlie sighs, but she sounds conflicted. "I'm still...not over you. Not over what you've done to me,"

"I know, and I'm sorry. I really am, Karlie," Taylor insists, and without thinking she tries grabbing the girl's hand, but she rejects her quickly.

"I don't know," Karlie replies. "I don't hate you, but I guess we can...talk, if you want. We can be friends, but I have to make the first move. I have to ask you how was your day or if you want to hang out with me, okay? I am with Bridget now and I want to...to try and enjoy our relationship."

Taylor nods. She respects her decision, and maybe this was a little step towards a new friendship. However, as Karlie walks out the library after saying goodbye, Taylor isn't even sure if she wants just a friendship with the taller girl, or something more.

A/N: as always let me know what you think in the comments! :)))