Chapter 19

She was surprised when the shorter girl agreed to her plan made out of pure exasperation. She knows that it may seem weird when as soon as they enter the dining hall, everyone looks in their direction and stares at their interlocked hands. Taylor grips Ariana's hand a little tighter, for support, and when she looks down at her fake new girlfriend, the shorter girl grins, saying silently it's okay, ignore them.

They sit beside one another at an empty table after picking their lunch. "Why is everyone staring at us? Can't they just leave us alone?" Taylor mumbles and Ariana chuckles softly.

"Well, we look like we're together when actually we're...best friends," Ariana whispers the last words and covers her mouth. She winks in Taylor's direction and the blond rolls her eyes.

"I'm glad you agreed to this plan. Thank you," Taylor says softly, blushing lightly. She looks down at her food and plays with it until her friend places a hand over hers, stopping her.

"Don't even mention it. If you think this will be the right thing, then I will do this with you," she replies comfortingly. Taylor smiles grateful in her direction and looks away. Even though she feels everyone's eyes on them, she does what Ariana told her: ignore them. They engage in an animated conversation for a while, before Taylor's eyes fall on someone who has just entered the dining hall.

"She's here," she mumbles, grabbing Ariana's hand and showing their interlocked hands to the world. She looks down at her now empty plate, and her heart starts beating faster and faster. She steals a glance in Karlie's direction, and notices that she's not alone: she's with Bridget. She can't blame them, since they're a real couple unlike the blond and the shorter girl, but Taylor can't help but feel jealous, wanting to be the one holding Karlie's hand.

"Don't worry," Ariana says with a comforting smile. "Did she notice us?" she asks curiously. As soon as Taylor checks their table, her eyes lock with Karlie's, and she quickly looks away embarrassed.

"Yeah," she replies. "We just looked at each other," she adds.

Ariana widens her eyes. "What was her expression?"

"I don't know," Taylor shrugs. "Maybe she's jealous or maybe she doesn't care at all. The last time we saw each other she asked me if you and I were a couple, but I didn't say anything, though," she explains.

Ariana nods, and they finish their meal in silence. They were about to exit the dining hall, when someone taps Taylor's shoulder. "Taylor?"

The blond turns around. "Karlie?"

"Can we...do you want to pass by my room this afternoon?" the tall girl asks, coughing awkwardly.

Taylor nods with enthusiasm. "Yeah, sure. Sounds good," she replies with a fake smile. Karlie nods, not meeting her eyes, and without saying anything  she turns around and walks away. "How was that?" Taylor asks.

"A little embarrassing, but okay," Ariana says. "She was staring at our interlocked hands the whole time, though," she adds as an afterthought.

Taylor looks down at their hands, amd blushes slightly. "Do you think it's a good sign?" she asks.

"Maybe she's jealous," Ariana chuckles lightly. "C'mon, we have to go to class," she says, amd drags the both of them to the English class.

///////////////////////////

As soon as Taylor enters the tall girl's room, the blond starts to feel anxious, her hands start to tremble and her cheeks are turning a slight shade of pink. Her ex-girlfriend is laying on her bed with her laptop on her lap, and when she sees the girl she closes it as soon as possible. "Oh, hey, I didn't hear you, sorry," she apologises.