Chapter 14: Mom

Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.

--Willian Feather.

**********

Chapter 14 : Mom

Listen to the song 17 by Julia Michaels.

************

Astrid's words burnt into my brain thanks to the recording Peyton got 'They're not my friends' the words keep replaying on my phone. However much I hoped it wasn't us Astrid was talking about, I wasn't that naïve of course she was talking about us.

But how could a friend as sweet and peppy as Astrid be like that?

Truth being I honestly have no clue. Maybe she has always been like that, maybe we just didn't see it cause we were blinded by her fake smile and her blind love for Dean.

True my day could not get any worse than it is....but it soon will get worse and I know that cause Mom is coming over for the weekend!

The only reason that's a bad thing is cause if Dad and Mom are in the same room together there's going to be a commotion with drama worthy to end up on E!News.

"Miss McKenzie, your mother has arrived and she's expecting you in the grand hall" Stella says through the intercom.

"Tell her I'll be down in a minute" I smile as I put up my hair into a high ponytail making sure no hair strands remain on my face.

As I walk down the stairs I can hear my mom laughing at a joke I'm guessing Stella cracked. God I missed that laugh and her radiant happiness.

"Ohhh Stella how I've missed you" my mom laughs.

I finally reach the last step, I take a deep breath and open the door to the grand hall.

Right in the middle I see a beautiful woman in a pale blue sun dress that reaches all the way to her ankles, the sunglasses on the top of her head and the elegant smile on her face.

"Rilly!!" My mom screeches and runs over to me hugging the daylights out of me.

"Mom! Hey!" I said laughing and hugging her back as tight as possible.

"How are you? How's school? Have you found yourself boyfriend yet? Are you ever going to dress up any better? Are you -" she started the train of questions.

"Mom! I'm not Google! I can answer only one question at a time" I chuckle looking at the joy on my Mom's face to see me.

"I'm sorry love! You know I haven't seen you for like three months" my Mom smiles innocently.

"Yea, I expected you to be here for the death anniversary" I mumbled softly.

"Honey, you know I just- I can't" she stumbled as guilt struck her face.

"Yes Mom I know it's just that dad also left for London that day, so I just went with Scarlet, Peyton and Harvey" I shrugged it off.

"Anyways I'm sorry I didn't call much, thought you'd be busy with fashion week next month" I diverted the topic.

"Well, I have been​ busy but that's no excuse for my daughter not to call me once in a while" she grimaces.

"I'm sorry mom!" I pout.

"No problem, but you could make it up to me" my mom says smugly.

And that ladies and gentlemen is my mother, Lia Mendes the top notch designer and all that, she always has something up her sleeve. I knew there was some reason behind her coming home.