Chapter 13

"Promise me, that if we both survive, you will drop your façade, and return to the (f/n) I knew"

You gulped and looked away. 

"I...I can't...You know I can't" you said. 

"You said you would've kept the promise, no matter what it was" Kaneki said in a serious tone. 

"But I would've never thought you would ask me that!" you exclaimed.

"It's not that difficult, (f/n). You have just to-"

You cut him off. 

"It's not that difficult?! IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT?! You would never understand the situation I am in! I screwed up with my life and you could never understand what this means!" you shouted. 

"What?! Do you know what are you talking about?! Yes, I didn't screw up with my life, because someone did it for me!"

Rize... 

It was the first time you saw Kaneki this angry, but overall, it was the first time he had snapped at you.

Tears built up in your eyes and you took a step back. 

He seemed to realise too, but then his expression returned angry. 

"The only difference between mine and your situation is that I can't return back to my normal life, but you can!" he shouted. 

Your expression became angry too. 

"If you're talking about you returning human, what could I say about me? I was born as a ghoul, and I've never had a normal life! Plus, I can't drop my façade! What will everyone think about me?"

"Is it what you're thinking about? All you care about is your reputation? And you're right, you, born as a ghoul, you've never had a normal life, you've always been a monster. But me, who had never done anything wrong, from a human had to become one of those monsters!" Kaneki shouted. 

Monster...?

You managed to gulp the knot in your throat.

"Well now you're one of us, a 'monster', or whatever you want, and you can't do anything about it!" you spat. 

"I've already accepted that" Kaneki said, back in his normal tone. 

Your eyes came back to normal, and a few tears left them. 

"First Ayato, now you..." You said in a trembling voice. 

Kaneki started to walk, until he was right in front of you. 

"Listen, I won't let the things between us remain like this" he said as he hugged you. 

You hesitated, but then you hugged back, hiding your face onto his chest. 

"I'm sorry for what I said, (f/n)-chan" he said. 

"I'm sorry too, Kane-kun"

Ayato's POV

Why did I do that, why did I do that, why did I do that... 

The sentence kept running through my mind. 

I was walking in circles in an empty room, deep in thought. 

I was just in front of her, but when she said 'Make me' I could have just put a hand on her mouth or something, but I kissed her! Why?! 

I kept staring at the ground with a scowl. 

And what is that fucking feeling?! I feel that every time I'm near (f/n), or when someone talks about her, or when she talks to me, or when I think about her! Like now!