Chapter Three

Savannah's POV

I was sitting in the waiting area at the police station anxiously playing with the bottom of my jersey waiting for a police officer to take me home. Apparently Lauren is coming from Florida and is still gonna be about four hours. I look over at Brooke as she talking to Officer Dylan, she didn't take the news of me moving to Florida any better than I did. But her parents have lots of money and she has already been texting them about coming and visiting me. Plus we both want to continue soccer as a career so hopefully we'll be together with that too.

"Savannah?" I look up and see a police Officer staring down at me, I nod staying quiet.

"I will be taking you home now. Will Brooklyn be going to your house?" I look over at Brooke with hopeful eyes not wanting to be alone when Lauren comes and she gives me a nod.

"Yes" I say once again

"Okay let's get you girls home"

"Guess who got Officer hotties number!" she squealed

I laughed "Of course you did"

We pull up in the driveway of my rundown house. The grass up to your knees almost since it hasn't been cut in a couple months, the paint on the house chipping, some of the shingles on the roof fallen off and I think about what it was like ten years ago. I live in a great neighborhood and all but my house is the one you look at disgustedly when you drive by it. When my mom was alive the house was great, my life was great. The front yard was always the greenest on the block with colourful flowers in the garden beds near the front and the house being kept spotless inside and out. My mom was a neat freak and so was my dad at the time too. We were a normal loving family with me being an only child and my parents both with good jobs. Then my mom died and my dad turned depressed, soon blaming me that I was still here and that she was gone when it should've been the other way around. He then started to hit me, it wasn't hard at first but as the years went on he got more and more cruel.

"Savvy?" I was brought back from my thoughts "You ready to go?"

"Yes. Thank you" I turn to the officer and he nods

The next hour went by slowly, Brooke and I not wanting to talk about the future but that's the only thing on our minds. There was a knock at the door and I look at the wall clock.

"She shouldn't be here for like three more hours" I whisper to Brooke

We both go and answer the door to see Coach Kyle standing there.

"Hi girls" He looks and sees my crutches and looks at me worriedly

"Hey Coach" I say quietly "Come on in I need to talk to you"

He follows Brooke and I into the livingroom, Brooke still helping me since I'm not used to the crutches. "Coach" I start when we all sit down "When I went to the hospital I kinda told them about my dad and well now he's in jail. I'm now going to be going to live with an old friend of my mom's in California" he never knew about my dad so I explained my past and he apologised

"So is this your way of saying I need a new defenceman and captain?" He jokes

"Yeah" I say holding back tears, that team was my family "But I have a request. I want Brooke to take over my spot as captain"

"Deal" He shakes my hand and Brooke smiled a thank you "There is another reason why I'm here. Our team has been selected to take part in trying out for the US women's national second team"

Brooke and I cheered. This could start our soccer careers easy. We all sat and talked for a little while until Coach Kyle left leaving Brooke and I both a booklet with the information. We stared at it dumbfounded.

"We should open it" Brooke finally breaks the silence

Dear U18 New York Cyclone Girls,

You are one of the select few teams to be chosen to be a US national tournament team. This team will eventually lead up to playing for the women's national team in the olympics and other major sporting events. There will be a week long intense training and competition with the best coaches and some players from the national team for the sixteen spots available. This will take place in Chicago on the week of July 14th. Attached to this sheet is a page with the prices of dorms, training uniforms, meals, and the training itself. For further information go to our website www.womensussoccer.com. Congratulations, we hope to see you there.

-US women's National team

"Oh my god!" Brooke squealed

After the letter that's all she could talk about. Although I was excited the chances of me going were probably slim. The Officers basically told me nothing about Lauren other than that she lives in Florida and that she was best friends with my mom and after looking at the costs sheet I had a feeling it wouldn't be an option. It's nice enough for her to take me in, last thing I need to do is be a pain and ask for money.

"Savannah are you listening?!"
"No sorry"

She exaggerated a sigh and continued "I was saying that we'll get to be together during this which is only like four months away! Plus maybe in two weeks my parents will let me come for March break"

"That'll be great Brooke" I wasn't going to tell her that I probably won't be going

Time flew by after that with Brooke talking about seeing each other again and me going in and out of daydreams. My fourth daydream and Brooke's ongoing excitement was interrupted by a quiet knock at the door. I looked over at Brooke and saw her visibly gulp didn't help my nerves.

"Well are you gonna go answer it" Brooke asked as I stood still my legs not allowing me to move

"I'm scared Brooke"

"Hey I'm sure she's a great lady and who knows maybe has got some hot sons" She winked

I laughed "Is that all you think about?"

She shrugged "Hey I did get Officer hotties number!"

I shake my head and walk to answer the door. I open it to who I assume is Lauren standing there, she has light brown wavy hair and brown eyes and is dressed in black jeans with a royal blue top and salmon coloured blazer, to top off the outfit she has navy heels and black handbag.

"Savannah?" she asks

"Yes, um hi" I say shyly

"Nice to meet you I'm Lauren Court" she gives me a warm motherly smile that I've missed so much. Maybe she won't be too bad after all.