Remember

Monday-March 18

It was strange for me to think about me and my brothers relationship. Him and I had a very rough past. From the dull feeling of being motherless, or the excruciating pain of having our father paralyzed.

Alaric and I sat on the floor of our new house. We sat outside on the concrete stairs, sighing as we waited patiently for the moving truck to arrive with the rest of my stuff.

"We are some fucked up kids, you know that?"

"...I'm twenty-five."

"I mean before... You were cold, and protective, you wouldn't let me hang out with anyone outside of our kin... Why?"

"You were going to get hurt," he turned his head towards me. I was worried, wondering why he ever thought that I needed protecting. I was almost twelve when everything started going downhill, but there were years when I truly believed life was going to be alright.

"I never really knew mom."

"Oh not again," he sighed, leaning forwards and holding his body up with his elbows on his knees. His head hung low, as one hand rubbed his neck roughly. "I don't want to talk about mother, okay? You didn't really know how she was. All she was to you was a mother, and the woman who gave birth to you."

"What was she to you?" I asked, his head snapped towards me, burrowing his brows. "Please, tell me, because God knows how many times you have avoided this subject... Did she hit you?"

"No."

"Did she say something to-"

"She left dad because they had me way too young, then you came along, and she didn't want to stay with a man she once loved, so she left her children behind, as if we were another set of memories she had with father. He might of not been heartbroken, but he sure as Hell struggled to raise us right..."

"I know that... I know she left us because she knew dad wasn't going to let her take us with her... So she left... All by herself... But that still doesn't answer my-"

"She's the mother who wasn't woman enough to fight for her children... Even rats are more loyal than that..."

The air was silent, only rustling leaves were heard from the trees. I bit my lip, unsure of what to say next. Did I even need to carry on the conversation? Now that we're add it, I might as well get some things out of the way.

"Did my old friends ever contact you after I moved to Korea?" I was seventeen when I went on a trip here, then turned eighteen while on the trip, needless to say, it was a long ass trip. I had graduated from high school and studied for Criminal Justice at the same time online. The ups of the program is that you can study from pretty much anywhere.

"Some of them tried, but I couldn't answer without thinking of you..."

The downs are the difficulty of staying on task.

"You think they would stop after I told them your middle name is Nannette."

"You told them my middle name!? Oh dear sister, that was not very smart of you to do." He took his phone out, texting someone.

"Wh-what are you doin'?"

He smiled, sending a message to apparently a random phone number. I didn't quite recognize it, so I hoped it was someone whom I've never met before.

“Sending an embarrassing picture to one of your boyfriends, considering you talk about him all the time."

My eyes widened, reaching over to his phone, avoiding him sending anything to Jimin. "Don't you dare!"