Chapter Eight

Alicia's POV:

A full week had passed since I had last spoken with Ty. Yeah, I would see him around the pack house and I knew he had people monitoring me, but it still wasn't the same. I realized just how much I had missed his presence for the last decade. 

Today was finally my eighteenth birthday - the day I would be able to identify my mate. I wasn't sure if I had wanted to find him today or later. I mean, I would love to have someone to turn to in this desperate time, but then again, I would have to hide my life from them until I figure the whole rogue thing out.

I quickly got dressed in a flowing white shirt with dark jeans. I put on some ankle boots and a sterling silver necklace before braiding my hair into a french braid. I headed out the door with some time to spare before arriving to school.

...

I headed to my first class to find Karmen saving me a spot. Sitting beside her, I sighed in frustration. Sarah kept saying something about our mate being here, but I hadn't smelt anything different in the air, nor had I felt sparks when I bumped into anyone.

"Find them yet?" I simply shook my head at Karmen's question. Over the last week, I had kind of become a mysterious celebrity that had a very limited group of friends, yet was known by the entire school. Karmen had spread the news of it being my birthday today and a party being held later tonight. Apparently a lot of people were eager to come.

Before I knew it, lunch was already here. I saw Sabrina sitting at her friends table, aka the jerks, and she shot me a sickly sweet smile before going back to laughing at something her mindless follower had just said. Ty, Damion, and Cody stopped showing up after about my first day. They had other pack members keep an eye on me while they dealt with business. At least it saved me from seeing Sabrina eat Ty's face off every meal. Well, they still did it at dinner.

I shook off the sudden surge of jealousy that coursed through my veins and made Sarah want to take control and kill. I blamed it on my hormones and giddiness at the prospect of finding my mate. I remembered back when I was about eight, just before I was taken, Ty and I had discussed finding our mates.

\FLASHBACK\:

Ty and I sat together in the pack living room as we watched a group of older wolves play cards. "When do you find your mate, Ty?" I asked out of the blue, curiosity taking over. I had heard some older wolves mention it earlier.

"When we turn eighteen we will be able to find our mate."

I scrunched up my nose as I looked over at him. "Yes, Ty, I know that. But how do you know they are your mate? How do you not get it mixed up?"

"You feel sparks whenever you touch, and their smell is the best smell ever. That's when you know the wolf is the one for you."

I looked at all the little kids playing in front of us. "When do you think you will find your mate?"

Ty smiled, a far away look in his eye, as though he had planned everything out already. "I'll meet her on my eighteenth birthday, and she will immediately become the Luna of the pack." I followed his gaze to see it locked on Sabrina. The same Sabrina that had warned me to stay away from Ty because he was her boyfriend. I hated her with a fiery passion.

"I guess I'll meet mine on my eighteenth birthday as well. Then we'll live happily ever after."

"Happily ever after?" Ty scoffed, as if I had just suggested we play barbies in front of the entire pack. "That is little kiddish and boring. At least have some action in it."

Maybe he was right. Maybe my plan for life was boring and simple, with no real action. But that was the way I had wanted it. "Yeah, I guess so."