Chapter Thirty-Three

Alicia's POV:

Each day would start with a rigorous warm up exercise, where I assess the group. Even for beginners, I was impressed. Their training had been limited originally, since they were the group that people at these kind of facilities were scared would form a mutiny the quickest.

We didn't have much time until the war began. If it took too long, one of the members of my troop could easily rat us out for a reward, and crush our rebellion just in the beginning measures.

All the days had been filled with constant practice, strategy, and skillful hiding of what the group was actually about. Today wasn't much different.

It started out with intense practice in the downstairs room, where I had them sparring against each other. Having trained some of the rogues myself, I knew their battle tactics. Now, hundred thousands of warrior trained rogues could probably easily crush a small rebellion in their midst, but with my training, and some secrecy to let it grow, we could make a small problem in the system to buy us some time and throw them off course.

That is, if everyone keeps their mouths shut long enough.

Most of everyone didn't talk. Marcus stood in the corner, watching me with scrutinizing eyes. He occasionally threw in tips to help them get better accuracy. Overtime, they were showing great improvement. Leo and Maria worked together, and we barely talked. They tried to pull me aside, once, but that was right when Hank snuck down to have a chat with me about the progress. He liked to entertain the idea - most likely to keep me occupied - of our group practicing alongside other troops to take down the packs.

A few, sometimes, decided to speak their mind, though. Those were the ones I feared would spread word to all the others. One of the soldiers, named Derek, who was known for mouthing-off to higher up officials, decided to use the moment we went over basic battle strategy to start running his mouth. 

"You seem to think that you know how to defeat our side so well," Derek said, making everyone take a small break from sparring. He was one of the first ones that wanted to leave the group, but I had already told everyone too much to let that happen. "It makes me wonder if this is just a trick. If it's a test to see our loyalty to the rogues, then I am all in!"

I knew that he couldn't start talking like this. When we were so close to getting somewhere as a group, soldiers like him were going to pull us down. So, I did what I had been taught to do at the Rogue Complexes - make an example out of someone.

I moved, using Sarah's abilities, so that I was in front of him in seconds, my hand wrapped tightly around his neck. I lifted him off the ground and had him pressed against the wall. I could hear everyone in the room take a collective breath. 

"If this were just a loyalty thing, than your life wouldn't be at risk in my hands like it is now," I growled out, making his face pale and body shake slightly in fear. 

"Y-you know I can easily tell the rogues what you are up too-" He tried to look brave, but I could easily see through his facade. 

"And do you know how easy it is to break your scrawny neck?" I asked, squeezing a little harder to the point where his breaths came out raspy. "Besides, who would believe you- a rebellious soldier- over me, a main General at the base?"

"Hank would." I stood back from the wall, my grip on Derek's neck loosening as I watched Marcus walk forward. "Hank would believe any of these rogues over you. He doesn't completely trust you, so if a number of these rogues came to him with the same allegations, he would be happy to investigate and find you guilty."

"Oh, is that the truth?" I asked, an underlying warning in my comment.

"It is," Marcus said, watching all of us with calculating eyes. "But, if anyone turned this organization in, it wouldn't just be General Kelly you would be going against, but declaring yourself an enemy to all the packs.

"And an enemy to me."

The last part left me dumbfounded. Even Marcus was against the rogues? Knowing that I couldn't show weakness to this group, otherwise they would exploit it, I stood up tall, set Derek down - not without a warning glare first - and went to the middle of the room.

With that, a round of 'yes m'am's' went around, before the room went silent and everyone went back to sparring. Derek sat in the corner, rubbing his hand on the red and purple discoloration of his neck. Marcus walked around the perimeter, giving occasional tips before approaching me.

With a sly smile, he spoke.

"So, what's the plan, General?"

...

Hey guys!

I finally updated again! Yay!

So, how do you feel about Derek and Marcus? Do you think one of them could be a mole?

Don't forget to

READ. COMMENT. VOTE!

-hexodus :P