Chapter Forty

Ty's POV:

"You did what?" Aaron gritted his teeth. "What were you thinking? Was Ally caught?"

I forced down a growl. "I don't know. I got back here without being caught, though. I don't know what's going on, but..."

I stopped, looking around. All of my men fell deathly silent, and I perked my ears up to listen as well.

THUD. THUD. THUD.

The sound of perfectly synchronized footsteps marched through the woods. 

"No," Damion whispered under his breath. "It can't be - I thought it would take them a few days to prepare..."

"Well, it looks like they packed up in a lot less time." I crouched down, motioning all of my men to do the same. "They are going out to take down all of the packs. We need to stop them before they get very far." Everyone nodded in synch, getting into fighting positions.

Watching, I waited for the first Rogue troop to get far enough from the Complex that they weren't in direct sight anymore before I made my move, my men right behind me. I charged at them, letting out a battle cry, causing them to freeze and look around in confusion. 

I took the opportunity to shift mid-air, throwing their sticks they called weapons to the ground before pouncing, ripping out throats and breaking necks as I went. Using the element of surprise,  I was finished with them in no time. 

I looked up, blood covering my snout, to find more troops running out to stop us. They had already counted our numbers and were going to overwhelm us. Most had shifted already. 

Confident in my abilities, though, I took down two at a time, easily decreasing their numbers. Once I had killed the seventh general, I looked back to check on my men. Some looked a little beat up, with some blood and scratches, but other than that they were fine.

In the moment I had taken to check every one, two more Rogues jumped on me, digging their claws in and snarling.

I snapped at them, shaking my back enough to send one of them flying. They hit a tree with a yelp and lay unmoving. I turned my attention to the other one, bucking up and down in an effort to detach him. Just as I had got him loose enough to fling off, another Rogue sank his teeth into my back leg, eliciting a howl of pain from me, before I flung myself backward, knocking the Rogue off my back and almost crushing the one that had a hold on my leg. When he let go, I ripped out his throat, along with the other ones before returning to the main fight.

Despite our small number in comparison to the Rogues', we still weren't taken down. Blood caked the grass and trees, the smell of death almost tangible in the air. I could only hope that it was the Rogues as I continued on, ignoring the throbbing in my leg.

"Alpha!" Damion hollered through mind-link as I took on another two Rogues at once. "We are outnumbered. We may be good fighters, but even you are starting to look a little rough. We need to wait for reinforcements."

I growled at his comment, the surge of anger causing me to take down the two Rogues faster. "We are not going to back down to these filthy creatures," I spat back through mind-link. "We are going to keep fighting. Surely they can't keep going all day - look!"

The second I had finished with the two Rogues I had just been fighting, the field was covered in dead bodies, mostly Rogues and almost none of my own. The only remaining Rogues tucked their tails between their legs and raced back to the Complex.

We were alone.

This was a battle won, but I knew that it had to be too good to be true. 

"We did it," Aaron breathed out, shifted back and wearing a pair of shorts from our clothes supply. "We actually did-"

A growl ripped through the air, and I turned to see a small group, around the size of ours, circle us. The stench of Rogues was faint on them, but it was there regardless.

I was glad I had remained shifted, but I decided to wait for them to make the first move - I wasn't going to give away my weakness immediately. As an Alpha, I knew better than that.

After a minute of circling, growling, and constant watching, the leader of their group sprung forward, aiming straight at me and my jugular. Seeing it coming, I quickly dodged out of the way and rolled. I jumped back up and attacked him from behind, using his surprise as an advantage to get a good snap at his soft underbelly.

He yelped, jumping back to go after me again. I hissed in pain when I felt him sink his canines into the back of my neck. I lost my balance, tumbling to the ground.

No, I was an Alpha. I wasn't going to let him have it this easy.

I willed myself to stay still and play like I couldn't get up. The Rogue puffed out its chest, obviously thinking of itself as victorious. It was a wrong move, though, because I used that opportunity to jump up and snap his neck. 

I stopped and took a look around. My pack had defeated everyone from that group, and no one else bothered to exit from the Rogue Complex.

I turned to my group. "That definitely wasn't all of them, but we won this far."

Everyone cheered, thankful, before we shifted and dressed, going out to a secluded spot just close enough that we could keep an eye on the Complex.

I made a mental note to send a message to the packs in the morning. We lasted this far, but Damion was still right - we needed back up.

I curled up, falling into a restless sleep, my patrol staying up for the next few hours. 

There was one thing prominent on my mind.

How was Ally doing?

...

Hey guys!

So, the war has begun! Do you think that mutiny group is still going to fight?

How do you think the war will end? What do want/think will happen? Will Ty and Ally be forced to fight?

Don't forget to

READ. COMMENG. VOTE!

-hexodus :P