Chapter Thirty-Eight

Ty's POV:

I cut out of the mind-link with my mate to turn around at the sound behind me. I called my men back into tight formation at the sight in front of me.

Rogues. They were everywhere. As we had been circulating around the perimeter, we obviously hadn't noticed that we had stumbled upon one of their training grounds. We hunkered down in the bushes so that we wouldn't be caught.

One of the leading generals stood at the front of the group and began yelling. "The weapon will work! Victory will be ours!" The Rogue soldiers cheered in response.

My throat tightened up and my wolf became uneasy. Surely they wouldn't win that easily, right? The weapon wouldn't be that powerful that it could wipe us out completely.

Sensing my unease, Damion put a hand on my elbow.

"This is our chance," he said through mind-link. "We only have a gap of time before we are entirely surrounded. I suggest we get out of here while we can."

Snapping out of whatever daze I was in, I nodded. I turned to my men and mind-linked them the plan, and we slowly marched out. 

Thinking back, I really wished that I hadn't had to cut off the mind-link with Ally.  But even she seemed to be plagued by fear, fear of the unknown, fear of that weapon. Whatever it was, I was going to get to the bottom of it.

Minutes later, we had made it to a denser part of the forest, one that wasn't ideal for the Rogue's to train in. Now our only threats were patrols.

Looking around, I told my men to secure the area, and make sure that no one was in earshot.

I turned to Aaron. "So, what have you heard from Sam?"

He scratched the back of his neck, his face contorting into a grimace. "You see, that was kind of what I wanted to talk to you about. I haven't heard from him in a while."

I frowned. Although I never came in contact directly with Sam, he always reported daily goings to his brother. It was very unlike him to skip this... "Do you think everything is okay?"

He shrugged. "You tell me. I haven't heard anything - not a peep in the last twenty-four hours. Sure, they could be doing a check, but he said they do that once a week."

Every time the Rogues "checked" someone, it was to weed out the rebels and spies. Most of the time they came up empty-handed.

"You don't think he was...?" I didn't want to even say it, as though just uttering the words would bestow us bad luck.

"No. Not Sam, never Sam." Aaron knew his brother well, better than most. "My brother knows the ins and outs. He'd never get caught. I'm just worried he is going to have to operate the weapon. Moon Goddess knows he's never been a fan of violence."

I almost asked him why Sam had decided to fight, but I caught my tongue before a sound slipped past my lips. He was kidnapped a decade ago, forced into it. He hadn't decided this future. I knew that was a painful memory for both him and his brother, so I made the decision not to touch it.

I nodded. "Okay," I said sternly, watching as my pack slowly came back, reporting on the surroundings. It sounded like the coast was clear. Making up my mind, my wolf eager to go through with the plan, I turned to Aaron. "I'll just go in and make sure he's okay."

At first, he laughed. Tears appeared at the edges of his eyes. Once he had gained control and realized I wasn't laughing, it finally dawned on him. "You aren't serious, are you?" Aaron took my silence as a yes, and I quickly told Damion his job while I went in.