New Kid On The Block

September

WEDNESDAY 8:56, FIRST WEEK

Sam was alone in the classroom, standing by the window and watching the autumn leaves fall down from the trees outside. Submerged into deep thoughts he marveled at the beauty and transience of nature. He found it fascinating how autumn brought death to the leaves but when spring came the leaves would sprout back to life. The cycle repeated itself each year. And every  time the Sun shone for a longer period the leaves would come to life, seeking out the solar energy. The Sun was the big boss in nature.

But at school the big boss were the teachers and the headmaster. And the kids would return back to the monotone school life every time autumn announced itself. At the end of the day the leaves and the kids had one thing in common. They all looked forward to spring. Spring was Sam's favourite season. But right now there was a long way to it.

He was interrupted by loud footsteps entering the classroom. He turned to see three of his classmates making their way to the seats. One of them seemed new to him, he had never seen him before. The kid hesitated for a moment when he got to the last row of seats. Sam knew what the kid was doing. Analysing which seat would suit him better. One wrong choice and he might be stuck with that seat for the rest of the school year.

" Hey! Who sits here?" the kid pointed to the desk at the back of the classroom where Sam's backpack was.
" Me." Sam said wearily. He didn't quite like the tone in his voice. "What's the problem?"
The scrawny looking kid narrowed his eyes at Sam.
" What's the problem?!" he raised his eyebrows. " That.." he pointed to the seat in question. " is my chair. And the desk in front of it is mine. I've been sitting here for 2 years in a row. No one takes my spot away from me."
Sam scoffed. Apparently he misjudged the kid. This troublemaker wasn't analysing seat choices. He entered the room knowing exactly what he wanted and right now he didn't seem like he'd take no for an answer. " This ain't your school, man. Besides, if I were you I wouldn't be bragging about failing a class twice in a row so just chill.. "
" You're telling me to chill?" he got into Sam's face. Sam kept his cool and glared at him. With all the afternoon boxing trainings he had had with his father in preparation for the championship in May, Sam knew that if he could, he would take this guy down right there at the spot. He wasn't afraid of this douchebag.

" Get your stuff off of my desk or I swear I'll..." the kid started only to be interrupted by a female voice behind him.
" Or you'll do what? Beat him up?" she scoffed, walking into the classroom. "Don't even try, Jason. You'll regret it for sure." the girl smirked. " Sam can throw punches better than you. He's a professional. You're just..." she sized him up. "a bully that won't amount to anything in life."
Sam expected this Jason guy to lash out on Sophia and insult her but he backed away, sat down in a row in front Sam's and sulked in silence. Sam gawked at Sophia in wonder.
" Hey, baby." she greeted her boyfriend with a kiss on his lips.
" What's your secret?" he stared at her. She frowned at him.
" What do you mean?"
He nodded his head towards Jason. " Your secret towards him right there? That jerk sitting and fuming with anger but not lashing out on you. You literally put him in your pocket."
" Oh.. " she waved him off. " Jason's no danger. He's a puppy really, he barks but doesn't bite."
" How do you know him?"
" He's my brother's best friend."
Sam raised his brows. " Taron hangs out with this guy?" he said appalled by the fact alone. " Your brother obviously has no taste when it comes to picking friends."

The bell rang, the classroom filled with sophomores taking Biology. They all rose from their seats once the professor entered the classroom. Sam was slightly taken aback by the discipline his peers displayed. Normally it would be up to the teachers to calm down the students. Then he noticed the reason why. The professor seemed a bit tense, way too serious and intimidating. She seemed like the kind of person you wouldn't want to mess with. And his peers could pick up on such vibes. Next to her stood a tall, good-looking boy with curly brown hair. The boy seemed nervous, and a bit lost.
" Good morning." the middle-aged woman said sternly. "Before I go on explaining this year's class rules I'd like you to meet your new classmate. He transferred from another school and it'd be nice if you all welcomed him warmly. Being a new kid sure isn't easy so I hope you'll make Bradley..." she glanced at him for help.
" Abbott. " he confirmed.
"...Bradley Abbott, feel welcome in a new environment." she continued. " You can take a seat, Bradley." she nodded.

Bradley's eyes fleeted the room looking for a free seat. His eyes rested on Sam's for a moment and Sam felt a surge of electrical feeling flow through his body. Bradley had beautiful eyes. And beautifully shaped lips. Sam felt his face turn red and he instinctively looked down, hoping no one noticed. When he looked back up it seemed as though Bradley smirked a little. He sat in the second row, three rows in front of Sam. Sam looked to his right to where Sophia sat. She was concentrated on the professor who was by now already talking about the rules. She didn't notice anything though. He sighed even though he had no idea why.