Jump

SATURDAY 12:19

It seemed like he spent a lifetime on the terrace before he finally plucked up the courage to climb over the railing. There was something holding him back, a little voice telling him not to give up but the other part longed for the much desired freedom he'd never have on Earth.

He turned his gaze behind him, to the safe ground over the railing and for a moment he wanted to climb over the railing back to the safer side but he was completely paralyzed from fright. He shivered as the wind blew in his direction.  The wind itself seemed to get stronger with each second Sam spent on the ledge. It was as though heaven itself was preparing itself for a new arrival.

He looked down. It was deep. Deep enough to die. A teenager walked by on the pavement and as soon as he saw Sam standing on the ledge he approached the skyscraper, pulled out his phone and started filming. He heard the sound of the door opening.

" Give me your hand!" he heard Brad say behind him but he didn't pay attention to him. The view from the skyscraper's rooftop looked terrifying but welcoming to him. If he jumped, there would be no turning back. He would finally put an end to all of the suffering. His brain was telling him to jump but in the background there was Brad telling him to hold on, that he didn't have to do this. But Sam didn't care about that. He just wanted to get this over with soon. His family wouldn't miss him anyway since they already chose to disown him. And as for Brad... well, he'd just have to learn to live without him. He wondered how come Brad was even up here  discouraging him to end his pathetic life when he should have been doing the exact opposite after all the bad things Sam did to him. Brad was the real victim here, but somehow he was not the one standing on the ledge. Sam was.

" Sam, you don't have to do this. Everything will be just alright if you take my hand." Brad extended his hand to him, for a moment Sam contemplated accepting the offer back to life. But if he didn't go through with what he had in mind and did as Brad said he'd be returning back to the life he hated. Right now death seemed much better than the hell he lived.

" Go away, Brad!" he sobbed. "Don't get closer or I swear I'll jump."

" Sam..." Brad pleaded with him. Sam took a look at the bottom again, at the onrushing traffic below, people gathering, pointing at him and shouting things at him. His feet were getting restless, his hands getting sweatier. His brain started the countdown. 3, 2, 1...

" Sam, no!" a female voice yelled. He turned around to see Haley by the terrace's door. Tears were streaming down her puffy red face.

" Haley..." he yelped. His vision got blurry with tears welling up in his eyes. Haley walked slowly and lightly towards him.

" Sam, give me your hand. It's not too late now. Please!" she urged him, extending her hand.

His knees trembled. He wanted to hold onto her but he couldn't move even if he wanted to. Haley observed him cautiously with extended arms as if Sam was a porcelain she was afraid of letting go.

 Death was still tempting to him but seeing his boyfriend and sister suffer because of him wasn't worth it. Slowly, his right hand let go of the railing, squeezing Haley's left hand. Brad held his torso as he helped him climb over the railing back to safety.

He fell onto Brad and they hugged for a long time on the ground while Haley cried in despair. Sam got up and hugged her, consoling her. She was trembling like a leaf on water. Sam cried with her, Haley broke free from the hug and slapped him.

" That's for making me worry so much, you egotistical idiot!" she cried. Sam pulled her into a strong hug. He knew he deserved that sobering slap in the face but he couldn't be happier for this second chance he got.