Charity

FRIDAY 19:03

The Robinsons gathered for dinner in the kitchen. Sam helped his mom set the table while Tommy played with his toys on the floor. Sam's dad as usual worked on his laptop, completely ignoring the commotion around him.

" Ben, would you remove your laptop so Sam can set the table?" Priscilla threw him a warning glance. Ben sighed and went into the living room, taking his laptop with him. Priscilla shook her head.

" Is everything okay, mom?" Sam asked after he finished setting the table.

" Yeah..." she sighed. " Haley, dinner's ready!"

When Haley showed up, Sam could tell she was in a cheerful mood. But she sat down, ignoring him just like she used to when the two had a fight. It seemed like the clash with Sophia was still fresh on her mind. After much persuasion from Priscilla's part Ben agreed to dine with the family.

" I know you're busy but eating as a family is a very important tradition that shouldn't be interrupted just because you're a doctor." Priscilla seemed irritated by her husband. " Let the kids know you care." she said in a hushed voice.

Ben sat down and served himself with some soup. Haley pulled out her phone and started typing. Priscilla crossed her arms, watching her daughter type away. Even little Tommy knew something was about to happen.

" Is there something interesting on that phone?" Priscilla asked.

" God, mom! Can't you just chill? I'll be done in a moment." she said. The family continued eating but Haley was still on her phone.

" So, Sam... How's school?" Ben asked.

" Fine." Sam stared at his vegetable soup.

" How's English going?" his mom asked.

" I have a few essays to write but that's fine."

" Mommy, can I have a dog?" his little brother interrupted.

" Not until you're a bit older." she stroked his hair.

" But why can't I have it now?"

" Are you sure you'll be capable of taking care of it? A pet is a big responsibility, you know. " she said, but she continued staring at Haley who was still on her phone ignoring the family's conversation.

" I want a big dog!" Tommy said. Sam chuckled.

" Are you sure? You're very small. That kind of dog could eat you." Sam laughed. Tommy grinned.

" And then we'd wonder where you went." Sam joked.

" I would scream from the dog's belly." Tommy said with a slight lisp. Haley suddenly laughed. Everyone stared at her. But she kept staring at her phone.

" What's funny?" Priscilla asked, tensed. Haley glanced at her.

" It's just a friend who said something funny." she referred to her chat.

" Who are you talking with?" Sam asked. But as he expected, she ignored him. An awkward silence enveloped the room. Priscilla was by now fully irritated. Ben carried on eating as if nothing was going on.

" Haley, Sam asked you a question. Why are you ignoring him?" Priscilla asked.

" I'm talking with a friend called Bradley." Haley sighed. " Are you happy now?" she asked Sam. But he didn't like the tone of her voice.

" I don't like this soup." Tommy complained, but he didn't get the attention he wanted. Priscilla was observing her daughter and by the looks of it she wasn't impressed by her attitude.

" Would you put your phone down?!" she demanded. Haley's satisfactory grin faded and she put the phone away.

" What does he want?" Sam asked sternly.

" I'm not talking to you." Haley carried on eating. Priscilla raised her brows.

" Is there something going on that I don't know?" she looked from Haley to Sam.

" Haley's being immature, that's what's going on..." Sam said.

" The only immature person in this room are you so shut up." Haley countered.

" Yay." Tommy giggled and clapped at that. Priscilla shook her head.

" Not now, Tom."

" What happened between you two? You guys rarely fight." Ben remarked.

" Your son is a homophobe, dad!" Haley broke the news to him. " He doesn't believe gays have the same rights as him."

Ben didn't seem phazed by his daughter's accusation. " So?" he shrugged.

Both Haley and Priscilla gazed at him.

" What is a homophobe?" Tommy asked but no one cared enough to answer.

" Being a homophobe is not okay, dad..." Haley said cautiously.

" As long as Sam's not hurting that boy let him think whatever he wants to. We live in a free country." Ben said.

" Yeah, but if that kind of thinking restricts other people's freedom then that's not okay either." Haley countered. Ben clenched his jaw.

" Sam is not hurting anyone, Haley." he simply said.

" Yeah, but..."

" Enough!" Ben yelled. Haley seemed shocked by her father's outburst. The family continued eating. To Sam the main food had a weird aftertaste.

" Why are you guys suddenly friends?" Sam asked his sister.

" I just offered to help him out with his math homework. " she shrugged. " I'm going to his place tomorrow."

" But why? Is he some charity case you're taking on or what? Can't he deal with math on his own?"

" Because that's what decent people do, Sam. They help each other when in need. You should try it sometimes!" Haley said and left the table.