The Catcher in the Rye

WEDNESDAY 14:30

Sam was sitting by the window at Starbucks working on his laptop. His homework on Catcher in the Rye was due in a week and he had a hard time analyzing why Holden cared so much about the ducks. According to him, Holden was a weirdo but he knew that his English teacher wouldn't be happy with that kind of answer. He looked out the window, hoping that the outside world would inspire him with an idea. He got back to his laptop and started writing when he remembered he had an important note hidden somewhere between the stash of paper lying next to his coffee. While he skimmed through his papers, a note fell on the floor. He stood up to pick it up but bumped into a passer-by as he tried getting back to his seat. The girl he bumped into lost her grip on the coffee she was holding and next thing he knew, his whole sleeve was stained. Sam sighed in annoyance.

" Would you watch where you're going?!" he practically yelled at her. The girl stood rooted on the spot staring at the mess with her mouth half open.

" I am so sorry! I didn't see you there." Sam waved her off, shaking his head in disbelief.

" Whatever, just leave me alone..." he sat behind his desk, fuming in anger. The dark-haired girl gazed at him pleadingly but Sam continued ignoring her.

" I am really sorry. Can I buy you some coffee as an apology?" she asked cautiously. Sam looked up at her. She seemed really sorry for what she did even though he was aware it wasn't entirely her fault. He could have done a better job at looking around himself.

" I already have my coffee here." he sighed. " It's my fault, I'll pay for your coffee." he stood up but she stopped him midway.

" Oh, no, there's no need for that. I can pay for myself." she reassured him. " You should continue working. I see you're in the middle of something so... I won't disturb." she smiled warmly.

" Yeah, I have this stupid essay I have to write on Holden..." Sam trailed off but the girl cut him off.

" You're working on Catcher in the Rye?" she seemed surprised.

" Yeah..." Sam frowned.

" Well, if you need any help, I think I'm pretty qualified." she grinned.

Sam raised his brows. " How come?"

" I'm studying English Literature."

" Okay." Sam nodded. " Well, if you have nothing better to do except helping out a stranger I'd be more than happy."

" Sure, no problem. Let me get my coffee first." she patted him on the shoulder and left. Sam rolled his dirty sleeve and got back to his laptop. A few moments later the girl returned with her drink.

" I'm Samantha by the way." she sat down.

" Sam." they shook hands.

" So, what's the topic of the essay?" she continued sipping her coffee.

" Why do you think Holden is concerned about the welfare of the ducks at Central Park?" Sam expected her to laugh at the stupid question his teacher gave him but she didn't. She seemed to be in deep thought.

" It's a dumb question, I know..." Sam commented. Samantha glanced at him, shaking her head in disagreement.

" No, I think it's a good question. What's your opinion about Holden?"

" I think he's the weirdest character there is. He's so irritating. He thinks everyone around him is phony but doesn't take a look at himself in order to realize that maybe something is wrong with him."

Samantha nodded. " I wouldn't call him weird though. He's peculiar. You do realize he's been through a lot right? His little brother died. He was hospitalized because of a terrible disease. And when he gets out of that hospital he's lonely. He tries to reach out to people in order to socialize but in one way or another these people keep letting him down."