Constrained

SUNDAY 12:21

When Brad had gone back home, Sam stayed some more for the lunch that Samantha was preparing. He and Lindsay were chatting in the kitchen as the bell rang.

" Who could it be?" Lindsay frowned.

" I didn't invite anyone but I'll go get it." Samantha said, heading toward the door. The bell rang again. Whoever was at the other end was clearly impatient.

" Who is it?" Sam heard her say.

" Sam's father. Open up!" Sam's eyes got bigger with this, he didn't expect his father to come get him. Samantha turned, exchanging looks with Sam who nodded for her to open.

As soon as she opened the door, Ben barged in, pushing her to the side.

"  Where is he?!" he yelled at her.

" Dad! Stop it." Sam could hear Haley's voice from the kitchen. He got up, heading to the hallway. As soon as he appeared in the hallway, Haley threw herself on him, hugging him.

" I was so worried!" she cried out.

" Sam, we're leaving right now!" Ben yelled, throwing Samantha a weird glance.

" I won't until you say sorry to her." Sam glared at him. Ben took a step back in surprise.

" You won't be making demands to me, you hear me?" he wagged his finger. Sam winced.

" And I won't be leaving until you apologize to her. If it weren't for her, I'd probably be lying in a ditch somewhere."

With some hesitation, Ben turned to Samantha. " I'm sorry for pushing you."

Samantha managed a smirk. " No worries. You have a nice son, sir. You should take good care of him." she said. Ben's brow cocked in surprise. He turned, leaving the apartment.

" We're leaving."

The three of them drove home in silence, occasionally Ben threw an angry glance in Sam's direction. As soon as they arrived home, Ben faced him.

" From now on you're grounded." he said, as Priscilla appeared behind him, dressed in a bathrobe. Sam sat on the sofa, staring at his dad in disdain.

" What you did was irresponsible and you won't go unpunished."

" But dad.."

" No, Sam. You're grounded for a month and that's final! If you don't like it, why don't you move in with that girl? See, if she can put up with you like we do."

Priscilla looked at Sam in pity, like she didn't recognize her own son.

" Mom, aren't you gonna say something?" Sam pleaded but she turned away, marching off to her room.