Authentic

WEDNESDAY 17:34

Despite the loss, Samantha invited them to a local bar where they sat behind a table to celebrate Sam's biggest accomplishment as a boxer.

" To Sam!" she raised her glass. The others followed suit.

" To Sam!" Brad said, winking in his direction.

" So, Lindsay and me are planing to go to Japan this summer." Samantha said to the group of three.

" Oh, really? I always wanted to go there!" Haley said, her eyes gleaming with joy. "Hope you'll have a good time."

" What are you guys doing over the summer?" Lindsay asked.

" I'll probably be stuck here, working." Haley shrugged. She glanced at Sam who had his head resting on his hand.

" I don't know. I'll just hang here, I guess.." the conversation about summer vacations put him in a solemn mood because it insinuated the near future and Sam was a bit insecure about that. His thoughts immediately went to his dad with whom he hadn't spoken ever since he tried to commit suicide. This might be his first summer without his father at home since his mom threw him out. His serious expression didn't go unnoticed by Samantha.

" After that day.." she started cautiously. "when you tried to..." she hesitated, looking for proper words.

" Commit suicide." Sam helped her with the words. She nodded.

" Has it occurred to you that you might need some..." she paused, not sure whether to continue. "Professional help? You know someone to talk to? Like a psychiatrist?" she asked.

Sam gazed pensively ahead before answering. "I've thought about it but I don't know if it's gonna help."

" You should at least try. It won't hurt." Lindsay suggested. "If you ask me, everyone could use a psychiatrist at one point of their lives."

Haley nodded in agreement. "Especially in these days where everyone is preoccupied with their busy lives, I think we'd all learn a lot if we took ten minutes a day just for ourselves."

" I think I'll make an appointment." Sam said eventually. Haley smiled.

" And I'll join you." she said, squeezing his hand in support.

They talked and laughed long into the evening. Surrounded by people who truly liked him for who he was, Sam finally felt content being himself. There was a long way to happiness but this was just the beginning of a process and he made a promise to himself to savour each moment like this.