Human Rights

MONDAY 12:34

" Do you think we're doing the right thing?" Sophia asked.

" Look, Harrison is old enough to think for himself. If he wants to ruin his future, I'm not gonna be the one to stand in his way." Sam served himself with some lasagna.

" Yeah, but now that we know...Doesn't that make us his accomplices? We could go to jail for that."

" Not if we keep our mouths shut." Sam sat down.

" And what does bipolar mean anyway?"

" It's a mental condition where the person changes his mood from depressed to feeling euphoric. It's quite dangerous if you don't know how to handle yourself."

" How do you know all that?"

" Unlike you, I actually pay attention in Psychology class."

" Hi!" Haley sat next to Sam.

Sam and Sophia fell silent, minding their food.

" Did someone die or what?" she asked, looking from Sophia to Sam in confusion.

" No! Why would you think that?" Sam asked.

" Your mood changed when I joined you guys."

" Nothing's wrong." Sam reassured her. They ate in awkward silence for a while.

" That Bradley boy you were talking about when I visited..." Sophia started to say. " Did you know he was gay?"

" Yeah. So?" Haley ripped apart her bread and soaked it in her soup.

Sophia bursted into laughter. " You were gushing over him and a few days later it's revealed he's gay. How did you feel about that?" Sophia said mockingly.

" He's the same age as Sam. I'd never date someone his age." Haley replied but Sam could see she felt uncomfortable.

" But I saw you talked to him in the hallway. What was that about?" Sophia continued, disregarding Haley's body language.

" I invited him to my theatre play." Haley replied sternly.

" You invited that guy to the play?" Sophia was apparently shocked to hear.

" Yeah, what's wrong with that?" Haley said in her defense. Sophia exchanged a weird look with Sam.

" Brad is not exactly the type of person to invite to a school event where everyone, including his bullies, will be." Sophia shrugged.

" Wait... So just because he's gay you think he doesn't deserve a seat in my play?" Haley gawked at her.

" Look, wherever Brad goes, his bullies make sure he suffers. All I'm saying is if you don't want any scandalous fights at your event, you better cancel the invitation."

" And you better shut your mouth right now or the whole cafeteria will know what a scandalous fight really looks like." Haley threatened.

" Oh, come on. Deep down you know I'm right!"

" Sam, does this twat here ever stop nagging people around her?" Haley pointed to Sophia.

" Only to reload..." Sam sighed wearily.

" What's wrong with what I said?" Sophia looked genuinely confused.

" What's wrong? You're a jerk, that's what's wrong. I never quite liked you, Sophia, now I know why!"

" Haley, would you just calm down?"

" Sam, you don't agree with her, right?" Haley glanced at him for help.

Sam remained silent.

" What, you also think Brad should be excluded from a school event just because of who he is?"

Sam looked down, not saying anything. Haley gazed at him, in complete disbelief of his passivity.

" A person like Brad doesn't even deserve to breathe let alone attend a prestigious school like ours." Sophia sneered. Haley stared at her. Even Sam was surprised by Sophia's choice of words. Yes, she was annoying sometimes but he didn't know Sophia had it in her to be so mean.

" You're joking, right?" Haley asked.

" Oh, don't tell me you don't find his gayness weird."

" Just because you find it weird, it doesn't mean you should treat him with disrespect." Haley was so upset her voice cracked.

" Go to hell, Haley! I feel sorry Sam has to put up with a sister like you on a daily basis. He deserves better!" Sophia said scornfully.

Haley jumped onto the table and slapped her. Sophia lunged at her, knocking Haley off the table. They fought on the ground, sending the whole cafeteria into excitement. Sam got up, and with some effort he managed to pull Sophia away while she screamed and kicked in frustration.

" You are a disgrace!" Haley yelled back, getting up from the floor.

" Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment!" Sophia sneered.

" Stop!" Sam warned Sophia.

" You saw her, Sam." Sophia countered. " She behaved like an animal!"

" Because you insulted her! No one has the right to mock my sister except me."

" Dump her, Sam!" Haley encouraged.

" What?!" Sam turned around.

" Yeah, do it!" Haley's face was so red it almost matched her hair colour.

" You won't, right? " Sophia pleaded.

" You know last time I said I wouldn't mind if you two broke up, Sophia, I really meant it." Haley revealed with a triumphant smirk. Sam winced at the disdain in Haley's eyes.

" I'm not breaking up with her, Haley. Just because you don't get along with her it doesn't mean my relationship has to suffer." Sam said firmly. For a while it seemed like Haley was speechless. She looked taken aback by what he said.

" I hate you." Haley shook her head at him and stormed off.