Disapproved

FRIDAY 6:08

" Sam." he felt a nudge against his arm. He opened his eyes and the look of restlessness on Brad's face alarmed him. Brad beckoned towards the door.

" I need to go." he said in a hushed voice. Sam nodded. The door slightly creaked open as they made their way to the staircase. Sam tiptoed down the stairs, hoping they wouldn't creak under pressure. He unlocked the main door slowly and let Brad out. After he closed the door and turned his heart nearly stopped. Haley was standing in the doorway between the hall and the kitchen.

" Was that Brad?" she wiggled her brows playfully. Sam rolled his eyes and went into the kitchen.
" Can you keep it down a bit? I don't want them to know." he said, referring to his parents. Haley followed him into the kitchen. Sam opened the fridge.

" I can keep a secret.." she looked at him implyingly. Sam exhaled, giving in.
" Yes, he spent the night here but nothing happened."
Haley giggled.
" Who spent the night here?!" he heard behind him. He closed the fridge door and turned around. Haley who was behind the counter eating her breakfast suddenly froze. Over her shoulder stood Ben, staring at Sam dead in the eyes. Sam wished he could sink into the ground. Ben moved closer, his expression even more intense now that he was face to face with his son.

"  Brad was here yesterday." Sam started to say. He observed whether his dad's expression would change but it stayed the same. " He slept over but nothing happened." he explained, emphasising the last two words.  Ben's jaw tightened. He didn't say anything for a while. With each passing moment Sam felt as though he was shrinking in size standing next to his intimidating dad.

" I don't want him to step foot into this house anymore." he ordered. Sam nodded.
" If he ever does.." he said, wagging his finger. " I'll make sure you move into his place. You won't be hanging out under my roof. Take your gayness elsewhere!"

Ben turned, striding off into the living room. Sam sighed. He made eye contact with Haley who looked at him with pity.