Knockout

FRIDAY 16:05

He was in the dressing room putting on his boxing boots. His father and his coach were sitting next to him, encouraging him.

" Stay low in the first couple of rounds, evade his hits but don't attack until I give you the heads up. Got it?" his coach Ryan Beckett said. Sam nodded.

" Craig is bigger and taller than you so we need to take advantage of that and tire him out before we start attacking." Beckett continued.

" Dad, can you pass me the gloves?"

" And remember, patience is a virtue. I know playing the cat and mouse game doesn't suit your fighting style but I studied Craig and I know what I'm talking about."

At the weigh-in, Sam got to meet his opponent. Coach Beckett wasn't far from the truth when he said Craig was bigger than Sam in the sense of muscle mass but in the end they still fitted the same weight class.

" Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the National Junior Boxing Championship!" a male voice announced. " Today's first qualifying round will feature two talented young men, one of which you might have already heard of because he participated in last year's championship. He is 16 years old. Give it up for... Craig Armstrong!" the crowd exploded with loud cheers.

" His 15-year old opponent is a newcomer. Welcome Sam Robinson!" the crowd cheered as Sam jumped into the ring. Sophia rose from her first row seat and clapped enthusiastically. Sam glanced at her, she nodded encouragingly.

Before the fight commenced the referee and the two boxers reassembled.

" Okay, boys, anything landing on the waist I'll consider it low. Keep this fight fair and square. Any dirty moves and you're disqualified. Understood?" he looked from Sam to Craig. " Okay, good luck to both of you!"

Sam and Craig both went to their corners and consulted their coaches. Beckett handed Sam the mouthpiece.

" Remember what I said." Beckett nodded.

The ding of the bell announced the first round. Sam turned and waited for Craig to make his first hit, while moving around the ring. Sam retreated as Craig swiftly advanced further. Craig's first hit was dodged as Sam shifted his body to the right. Using Craig's miss to his advantage, Sam punched him back but Craig quickly retaliated. He hit Sam, sending him staggering backwards but luckily he kept his balance. The blow was painful though. Coach Beckett was right, Sam had to avoid those hits at all costs if he wanted to qualify to the next round. They continued circling around each other, waiting for the other to throw a punch. Craig was the first one to lose his patience. Sam protected his head as Craig attacked. With each hit, Craig sent him toward the periphery of the ring until Sam felt the leather rope against his back. Craig wasn't about to stop. Sam felt a blow to his stomach and instinctively shrunk.

He could hear his dad yelling in the background.

" Defend yourself!" But that was easier said than done. Sam was pinned and the only way to get out of that corner was to hit him back. But with each hit Sam felt his body cry out with pain. He threw a punch here and there but none of them were powerful enough to destabilize Craig. Eventually, the referee stepped in and separated the two.

Sam got to his corner and sat down.

" Keep dodging him! Defend if you must and don't give in!" Beckett encouraged. "You got this!"

The second round commenced and Sam did as he was told. Dodging most of the hits while hitting back but that only proved to be effective in the first part of the second round. The last few seconds of the second round almost made Sam question Beckett's tactical abilities. Craig's fist connected with Sam's jaw and he staggered for a while. The ring was spinning around him. Next thing he knew, he was on the ground and the referee was right next to him, counting down.

" 10..9..8..."

" Get up!" Beckett yelled.

" 7...6.." the referee continued. Feeling disoriented, Sam slowly got to a crouching position. All he had to do now was stand up.

" 3...2...1.." the referee was now shouting. Sam quickly got to his feet. The crowd cheered. He saw Sophia cheer with delight. His father shook his head at him in disappointment.

Sam staggered back to his corner. He was so mad at Beckett he didn't even look at him.

" It's working." Beckett said, his jaw tense with nervousness.

" Say what?" Sam couldn't believe his ears. "He knocked me down, coach!"

" That was your own fault. You didn't pay attention. He was getting tired with each punch and look at him now..." Sam glanced to where Craig was sitting. "You can tell he's a bit out of it himself." Beckett said.

Craig's chest was heaving as his coach refreshed him with water. Sam himself was panting but he could tell Craig was really exhausted.

" This is your round, Sam! You have to win this!"

As the third round began Sam went along with Beckett's plan. Craig struck but this time he missed, using this to his advantage, Sam hit him in the stomach twice before retreating and protecting his face. Craig struck again but Sam shifted his body side to side and dodged his hit once again. Craig was panting heavily and with each attempt he made on Sam, he could tell he was getting weaker and weaker. Sam kept retreating, moving energetically around the ring, forcing Craig to follow. Craig hit once again but Sam ducked and with a punch to his lower back he sent Craig staggering forward and for a while it seemed like he was about to lose balance but he quickly regained composure and turned to face Sam.

This was the moment Sam needed the most. A moment of weakness. With a decisive punch to the face Craig landed on the ground. Sam retreated as the referee counted down. But he knew Craig wasn't going to get up. The referee whistled and pointed to Sam. Most of the crowd cheered at the winner of the battle. Beckett got into the ring and congratulated him.

"I knew you could do this!"

Sam threw out his mouthpiece and hugged him. "Thanks, coach!"

His father got into the ring with Sophia who was beaming with joy. "Congrats, honey!" she hugged him and and plastered a huge kiss on his cheek. Sam glanced at his father who nodded in approval.

" You got lucky, my boy. You got lucky."