Freedom

WEDNESDAY 14: 40

Sam was sitting by the window of Starbucks as it rained outside. He flinched to the sound behind him but then realized who it was.

" Hey!" Samantha called out, sitting down.

" Hi." he grinned. " What's up?"

Samantha shrugged. " This whole Christmas thing's having me on the edge."

Sam scoffed. " It's not even December and you're already worried about Christmas? Geez.. take it easy."

"  Well, me and Lindsay had a fight today over how we should spend our Christmas. She wants to go to Rome but I wanna stay home. And I'm totally running out of ideas for presents. " she sighed, shaking her head.

" Maybe you guys should just celebrate with no presents?" Sam suggested. Samantha looked perplexed, then she laughed.

" There's no way Lindsay would be okay with that. Anyways, what are you planning for Christmas?"

" Uhm.." he shrugged. " I'll probably just celebrate with my family and girlfriend."

" Great. What's her name?" she asked.

" Sophia." he nodded. " Yeah.. But right now things are a bit complicated between us."

Samantha raised her brows. " How come?"

Sam suddenly felt uncomfortable. " Uh.. I don't know if we should stay together anymore. I don't think we're compatible."

Samantha nodded in comprehension. " Every couple has problems. Maybe you should try to work it out."

" I don't know..." he said in doubt.

" Look, maybe I don't know that girl but I can tell you from my own experience that if you love someone you should fight through whatever issues to stay together." she said.

Sam sighed. " I just don't know how I feel about her. I think I love her though."

Samantha seemed surprised. " You think you love her?"

Sam nodded, oblivious to what Samantha was trying to point out.

" Does your heart skip a beat when you think about her? Do you feel aroused when you make out? Do you find yourself thinking about her before you go to bed?" she asked.

Sam laughed. " You know, I always thought that was silly.."

Samantha frowned. " What do you mean?"

" People who say they feel all of that are so cheesy. You can't possibly feel that way after two years of relationship. I mean, my parents do not look in love and they've been together since high school. Those feelings fade over years."

" You're right to some extent." Samantha nodded. " But I still get all childish inside when I'm with Lindsay.  And even though we've been together for so long, I still feel the same way about her just like when we were teenagers. True love always has that charm from time to time. You just have to maintain it." she shrugged.

" Did you always know you were into girls?"

" When I was a kid, I knew I was different." she nodded. " Things that other girls were into weren't necessarily my thing. And I always felt like I didn't belong somehow." she shrugged.

" But you know what, I'm glad I learned to accept myself because that was the moment where I truly freed myself from the stupid norms society set for us."

" I'm happy for you." he nodded.

" You just gotta fight for what you believe in. That's the only thing that can set you free."