Final Match

May

WEDNESDAY 15:30, FIRST WEEK

Sam was in Brad's room, getting ready. The birds chirped outside as he got ready for his upcoming match. He tried imagining how it would go, but to be in the final was a miracle itself given the fact that he skipped a few training sessions. Today would be his day though. He would do anything in his power to lift that trophy. He looked out the window. The view from Brad's house to the nearby park was spectacular. The cherries were already blossoming, bees were happily flying from one flower to another. Spring was Sam's favorite season with the fresh energy it brought each year.  He had been looking forward to this day for a long time and now it was finally here.

" You ready?" he heard Brad say behind him. Sam turned, grinning from ear to ear.

" I'm ready."

Haley picked them up and together they drove to the stadium where the final of the championship was being held. Sam had also invited Samantha and Lindsay who were waiting by the entry. They wished him good luck as they parted, Sam going to his dressing room and the others into the arena. Once inside his dressing room, Sam and his coach went over the strategy for the match. Beckett left Sam so he could have his final moments of mental preparation. He paced back and forth but he wasn't nervous, he was excited. He heard a knock on the door.

" Come in."

" Sam.." his mother barged in and hugged him. Sam was very surprised by this, he didn't expect her to make an appearance.

" Mom!" he hugged her tightly. " I missed you."

" Oh, I am so sorry for what we put you through. You didn't deserve it." she cried, kissing him on both cheeks.

" It's okay. Look, I need to go now. The match is about to start."

" Okay, sweetie. I'll be in the second row." she said, breaking away from the hug.

Once he was in the ring he glanced around the arena and noticed his father standing in the back, almost hidden by the darkness surrounding him. Even though he didn't imagine he would ever show up, his dad proved him wrong. He nodded in his direction, encouraging him. Sam smirked. Now that his whole family gathered for this event he just couldn't let them down. He had to win this match at all costs.

" Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the National Junior Boxing Championship!" a male voice announced. " Today's final round will feature last year's winner and a newcomer. Give it up for... Ethan Colbert!" the crowd exploded with loud cheers.

" His 15-year old opponent will try to give him a run for his money. Please, give it up for... Sam Robinson!" Sam felt empowered by the loud cheers. The two boxers pounced fists in greeting then retreated as the referee started explaining the rules.

Sam and Ethan both went to their corners and consulted their coaches. Beckett handed Sam the mouthpiece.

" Go for it! " Beckett nodded.

The ding of the bell announced the first round which was pretty tight between the two. Ethan was very cautious and held back at times. While Sam appeared more aggressive, Ethan seemed like he was testing the waters, checking where Sam's limits were. The boring first round finished with no greater events.

The second round was more lively. Throughout the round Beckett kept reminding Sam to keep his hands up since he appeared to lose focus. Ethan got powerful towards the end of the round and as the bell rang, Sam had a feeling he lost the round so he had to give it his all for the third one.

In the third round Sam's exhaustion started to show. He could keep up with Ethan as far as the number of hits he managed to achieve but those hits were weak and purposeless in comparison to Ethan's who managed to hit his jaw in one of the attempts. Sam knew the judges would rate that highly.

" Come on, Sam!" he could hear Brad yell in the background. But as much as Sam tried he just wasn't able to keep up anymore. His body was tired. He knew he wouldn't win by the end of the round so when Ethan was announced as the winner he congratulated him and left the ring, glancing in his dad's direction. But he was no longer in the stadium.

Brad, Haley, Samantha, Lindsay and his mom paid him a visit in the dressing room. They weren't disappointed. On the contrary, they cheered him up.

" Second place is not bad, you'll get it next year!" his mom said, plastering him with kisses.

" I'm so proud of you!" Brad said, kissing him. " You fought well!"

" Come here, my little bro." Haley pulled him into a hug. " You're my hero."

Even though he lost the final, he couldn't help but feel that he won at life.