The Schoolyard

FRIDAY 13:35

After the school bell rang Sam made his way along with the crowd to the schoolyard, where he sat on the bench waiting for Sophia to finish her philosophy classes. They had previously agreed to meet outside after they both finished with their classes. Sam was scrolling through his Facebook feed absent-mindedly when he heard a familiar voice.

" Hey-yo! Wassup dude?"

" Harrison. Where were you today? I didn't see you in class." Sam looked up at him.

" I had an emergency in my neighbourhood. Had to fix something up.." Harrison's eyes wandered. Sam had a feeling Harrison wasn't completely honest but decided not to  press on. 

" Hey, but you'll come to my party right?" Harrison asked. Sam looked down, not completely sure what to say.

" Uh, I don't know man..." he started to say when Sophia suddenly showed up. 

" Hey, guys!" she exclaimed. Harrison turned around.

" Oh, Sophia. Nice to see you." they greeted each other with a hug.

" Looking good, Harrison. Is that a new hairdo you got?" Sophia asked.

" Yeah, do you like it?" he asked. Sophia ran her hand through his hair.

" I love your curls! Anyways, I happened to overhear your conversation and I will for sure come." Sophia reassured him.

" That's great! Sam? Can you make it?" he asked.

Sam shrugged. " I'll see." 

" Okay, guys. See you tomorrow!" he waved them off. Sophia sat next to Sam.

" Here's the hat!" she threw it at him. 

" Thanks." Sam got up from the bench. " Hey, what was that post about on Facebook?" he asked her.

Sophia's eyebrows creased in confusion. " What do you mean?"

" I just saw that you shared a gif about men being assholes."

"Oh! Well, what's wrong with that? Am I not allowed to have a little fun on social media?"

" Are you angry with me?" he suddenly asked.

Sophia scoffed. " Me? Why would I be?"

Sam himself knew what he was referring to, but was afraid to say it out loud.

" I don't know." he said eventually, studying Sophia's face which was expresionless.

" Hey, how about we go grab some lunch and hang out at my place today?" she suggested with a hopeful expression. 

" Uh, I have to train today. And my mom already made lunch at my place so you're invited." he offered.

Sophia sighed. " Okay, take me to your place then."